Ben, List:

(As a preliminary comment, Stan was a long time WESS member and spoke to us on
several occasions...  He will be excited to renew our decades-old rhetorical
dual.  :-).

(SS =Stan Salthe, BU, Ben U.)
On Sep 21, 2014, at 11:28 AM, Benjamin Udell wrote:

> Stan,
>
> If you think that five minutes' investigation would likely at best reach a
> trivial truth about a kind of phenomenon, then substitute 'five days' or
> 'five months' or 'five decades', etc. The point is the sooner or later, not
> an incompletable long run.
SS:
>> S: Then two different traditions might come up with differently sufficient
>> understandings about one object.  I accept that, and it implies nominalism.
>> Sufficiency might               be quite different for different traditions.
>>
> You're simply not distinguishing between truth and opinion.  If two
> traditions arrive at contrary conclusions about the same         kind of
> phenomenon, the normal logical conclusion about the contrarity is that at
> most one of the conclusions is true and true for sound reasons, at most one
> is the result of sufficient investigation even though both traditions claim
> sufficiency. Peirce's semiotics is logic studied in terms of signs. You don't
> distinguish between sufficiency and claims of sufficiency, truth and claims
> of truth, and reality and claims of reality. Both traditions' conclusions
> might be false, results of insufficient investigation. They might both be
> mixes of truth and falsehood, various inaccuracies, and so on.

JLRC:
SS's argument is simply, as he puts it, " pretty 'shallow' and unsophisticated."
When two traditions differ with respect to the understanding about an object,
it is unknown what the implication is.
The very nature of "difference" infer that the antecedents of the facts that
generate natural consequences generate differing interpretations of meaning.
The differences between physical and chemical interpretation are very common in
these pragmatic science.  Over time, many issues are resolved by further
observations.
Often, the two different interpretations emerge from the simple fact that these
two sciences use two different  symbol systems and two distinctive logics that
use different logical operations. The philosophical vehicle of Nominalism is
seldom if ever pragmatic mode for resolving disputes about facts.

SS:
>> S: OK if the knowledge in question is not important to survival!

BU:
Simply accepting contrary conclusions as reflecting two "realities" because two
traditions arrived at them is a defeatist method of inquiry, a form of
'insuccessibilism'. Imagine the swelling mischief if courts treated widely
discrepant testimony from various witnesses as reflecting different "realities"
rather than different perspectives or mistaken or differently limited
observations or memories, or lack of honesty or candor, and so on. Imagine
being an accused defendant in such a court, with one's money, career, freedom,
life, hanging in the balance.

JLRC:
The same is true if the "putative" knowledge IS important for survival.
Extinction is a common consequence for many spieces.

Ben's example is excellent.
Pragmatically, it is a common motivation for the extensive governmental support
for research.

SS: S: My position is that 'the real' either is not one thing, or that there
might be several different traditions about it based on different approaches
and knowledges.

BU:
> Waiting for the conflicting traditions to resolve their conflicts and hoping
> that their resultant conclusion will be the truth, is a method of inquiry of
> last resort, that to which a pure spectator is confined. To go further and
> _define_ truth as the conclusion of any actual tradition or actual dialogue
> among actual traditions, underlies the method of authority, a form of
> infallibilism. If two traditions don't resolve their argument and if you for
> your part have no way to investigate the question itself and arrive at a
> conclusion about the subject of their argument, then your normal logical
> conclusion would be that you won't know the answer to the question, not that
> there are conflicting true answers to the question.

JLRC:
>From Stan's position, one could imply that the science of chemistry, which at
>it's root, is grounded on Lavoisier's principle of identity, is not to be
>trusted.  When is a thing not a thing?  The logic of chemistry per se requires
>that the identities of the antecedents infer something about the consequences.
>The entire edifice of molecular biology depend on Lavoisier's principle.  The
>uniqueness of chemical identities is inferred directly from physical
>principles.

The situation with the social sciences is an entirely different manner.
A sublation from one form of thingedness to another form of thingedness
requires a change in the meaning of symbols.

SS: Our own tradition, involving concepts of evolution and chemistry is
particularly elaborate, requiring a highly educated priesthood to come up with
an -- or even more than one -- understanding.

> BU: I disbelieve that you ever did physics in either way. I don't see why
> you'd want to impose such weak methods on philosophy, or have a semiotics in
> which contrary signs about the same object merely reflect different
> "realities"; such would turn logic and semiotics into mush. Peirce's theory
> of inquiry, which seems to reflect the attitude of scientific research, does
> not boil down to 'poll the experts' or 'poll the traditions', instead it
> boils down to 'do the science,' by a method actively motivated and shaped by
> the idea of putting into practice the fallibilist recognition that inquiry
> can go wrong (because the real is independent of actual opinion) and the
> 'successibilist' recognition that inquiry can go right (because the real is
> the cognizable). To argue about this, as you do, is to presuppose that there
> is a truth about this very matter under discussion, a truth that can be found
> and can be missed.

JLRC: (Extending this shallow metaphor to a complete absurdity :-)  )
Stan's assertion appears to be true if and only if the priest is a founding
member of Stan's
 " pretty 'shallow' and unsophisticated."
church, which apparently does not admit
 "highly educated"
 members.

Cheers