Dear Gary R., Ben, Gary F.

sorry for my delayed response. My brain is so slow in thinking in english.

Gary, yes you are right. There was no resentment (i just used the german word) in Bens post. It was more a kind of pawlowian reflex on my side. I have been discusing these things so often with pseudo social constructivists and with critics of this pseudo social constructivism. I'll try to explain:

From my point of view there are three types of constructivism. There is the radical constructivism in the tradition of Piaget, von Foerster, Glasersfeld etc., the tradition of Berger and Luckmann with their book "The Social Construction of Reality" (SCoR) and a pseudo social constructivism which has its roots in postmodern literature criticism.

Berger and Luckmanns book gave (as far as i konow) the child its name "social constructivism" and SCoR is a classic text of the sociology of knowledge. Therefore social constructivism and sociology of knowledge are the same for me. Now, within the sociology of knowledge there is the subbranch "sociology of scientific knowledge" aka science studies. Within the science studies there is the french part arround Latour and the british part with Woolgar, Bloor etc. And certainly there is Foucault as a class of its own.

As pseudo social constructivism i coin everything influenced by (literature) theories with the semiology of Saussure in the version of Bally and Sechehaye under the hood. These ones see all people trapped in a language cage (Ben mentioned it) which is impossible to escape. The main difference between the social constructivism and pseudo constructivism is that the former assumes a kind of relationism like i tried to explain in my other mail to Ben whereas the latter assumes a strong form of relativism.

Now, it is not so that in the field of sociology of knowledge something like Stans position was or is something like common sense. To the contrary Fleck and Latour are the exceptions who come closest to Stans position. Positions similar to Stans were and are attributed to science studies intentionally by "naive realists" who see their power position as uncritzicable experts in danger and unintentionally by the uninformed who use the word in its now mainstream usage. The Sokal affair did the rest to produce a mishmash and also the sociology of scientific knowledge was a collateral damage of it.

My problem with the mainstream usage is like "pragmatism is the american merchants philosophy which is only interested in the cash value of things". Would this not trigger a pawlowian reflex in you?

Coming to the "not trying to understand" i think we have to make a destinction between why people criticize science and what they say to criticize it. I share most of Bens critique of Stans position and after Bens last post i also wouldn't say he does not understand the motives. But i also share the original impetus of postmodern thought and of science studies against science-as-it-is (but i am not sure if this is also Stans impetus). When we look at the societal role scientists became as experts since WWII and how scientist function as legitimators of politics with the sword of objectiveness and truth in their hand then critique of science was and is needed. And therefore we shouldn't lump together honest critics and those who enjoy the meaning-mary-go-round on the academic carnival.

Thanks for your plea for clarification!

But what is the obvious, "which has been frequently discussed here and elsewhere"?

Best
Stefan