Stefan, Gary F., list,

I was indeed addressing the snakebite example, just not mentioning it by name. If two traditions, two people, two of anything, arrive at incompatible conclusions about snakebites, then at most one of their conclusions is true. That's what "incompatible conclusions" means. It doesn't take Peircean semiotics or pragmatism to see it, it's elementary definitions and logic.

I haven't ever argued or believed that judgments, that two given traditions' conclusions are incompatible, are infallible. I haven't ever argued or believed that society does not influence, help, or hinder inquiry, or contribute to focusing it in some directions rather than others. This sort of thing will result in society's influencing the opinions that result from actual inquiry.

But opinion and truth are not the same thing.

Conflating opinion with truth seems to produce some light pseudo-hallucinatory fun, at least that has been my consistent experience since I was a teenager (as I said I do look at other perspectives). It's the fun of absurdity. Yet, to build a theory on the acceptance of that conflation is to build on broken logic, inquiry with its bones broken, inquiry more susceptible than ever to social manipulation, inquiry less likely than ever to be fruitful.

A challenge for inquiry and society is to overcome capricious or mischievous skews produced by society's influence on inquiry, without keeping society from helping inquiry thrive and vice versa. It's one thing for society to reward some disciplines more than others. In various cases there can be good reasons for that, bad reasons for that, and so on. The economy of inquiry itself may sometimes impoverish inquiries that would not have been all that costly and whose findings would have corrected and improved the inquiries that do proceed, but people can't know everything in advance, and people need to make choices. So inquiry will tend, even when going comparatively well, to have defects. But it can also correct and improve itself. It's another thing for society to reward disciplines with power, wealth, glamour, status, only for producing conclusions that suit society's preconceptions. And so on.

Best, Ben