Ben, Gary, R., Gary F.,

i've got to start from the end of your post. You speak of the society "rewarding diciplines" and this sheds a light on your idea of sociology in this discussion. Your sociology consists of conscious actors who reward, strive for power, wealth or status. This is more a rational choice approach which is not the thing i was trying to hint at with my Fleck example. And thats also not the thing sociology of knowlede is interested in. It's about the knowledge underlying societal habits. There are so many things we take for granted and we should explore why we (did) take them for granted. And this not only the case in society it is also the case in the sciences.

Why did microbiologist search for syphillis in the blood? They searched there because for centuries it was taken for granted that there is something like "syphillitic blood". Was it possible to reproduce the results? No, it was almost impossible to stabilize the results. Nowadays we would stop researching with results like this. But they kept on trying and trying until Wassermann found a way to stabilize the experiment. Why did the retry and retry? Because it was clear that it had to be there!

The snake example: The snake example is so trivial and easy to understand that we don't have to discuss it. Yes, it bites you -> you are dead in tradtion A or B. There is no incompatiblity. But this is not a real world example of a living science. Sciences are complex, they consist of assumptions, crafting in the lab/the field, cognitive training etc.. They are much more than the simple "if A then B" of logic. Much knowledge and training is needed to come to the point where one can write down a proposition like "if A then B".

Nobody doubts that when you do exactly the same as another person that the same will happen. "Experiences whose conditions are the same will have the same general characters". But since scientific paradigms are such complex structures it is not an easy task to create the same conditions. You think its easy, just go to a lab and try to re-cook a Wassermann-test! You say opinion and truth are not the same thing. Yes, sure ,but how should we deal with the idea of the syphillitic blood? Is it opinion or truth? They found it in the blood! And the idea to find it in the blood is certainly a cultural import into science.

But there are different Problems: a) Can there be different truths about one object of investigation b) are there cultural imports into science that influences the content of science and not only the organizational context of research. What is organizational context? Org. context is for me all the stuff you named: funding, rewarding, strive for power, money etc.. An influence on the content instead is everything which is part of the "how we see the object" of investigation.

Karl Mannheim uses in "Ideology and Utopia" a good metaphor. He says that we can look at a object from different perspectives and objectivation is for him to take different positions relative to the object. Trying to investigate the object beyond this is an absurdity like seeing without perspective.

You distinct between opinion and truth. Do you have the truth? No you don't, like i don't. We both have beliefs we are willing to put on test. But when you write somthing like:

"Conflating opinion with truth seems to produce some light pseudo-hallucinatory fun, at least that has been my consistent experience since I was a teenager (as I said I do look at other perspectives). It's the fun of absurdity. Yet, to build a theory on the acceptance of that conflation is to build on broken logic, inquiry with its bones broken, inquiry more susceptible than ever to social manipulation, inquiry less likely than ever to be fruitful."

it seems to me that you have the truth and you are able to destinct between pseudo-hallucinations and non-hallucinations. You talk like you are one of those who has left the cave and reached the light. Ben, i don't really insinuate this, because it was written by you in the heat of the moment. We are not far away from each other, but nonetheless this paragraph shows we are still standing on different sides of a water devide. There is a hair between us. My impression is you are trying to pull the long-run-perspective on truth into the /now/ to safe some kind of non-perspective-truth in science.

Now, truth is for me a perfect sign which incorporates all possible perspectives on an object. But we will be there only at the end of all times. As long as we are not there we only have beliefs we are willing to act upon. And as long we have not reached the all-perspectives-mode we take in positions on objects and phenomena that are influenced by our societal position, tradtions and our culture. The point is now that modern science with its non-prespective-truth tries to erase these influences in its representation. Part of this strategy is to make influences, where the cleaning has not been finished, to exceptions or to reduce the cultural influences to failed knowledge.

 * Just take insulin shock therapy. How was it possible that psychic
   ill were tortured that way? It was only possible in a certain
   culture of medicine. A culture where a real phycicist had to cut or
   give drug. But psychatrist didn't have these instruments and so they
   were inferior to real phycicist. That's the reason why they were so
   eager to use insulin shocks, because when they used it they were
   real phycicists.
 * Look at nazi science. It is widley branded as pseudo-science to
   clean science from this era. But there were nazi scientists whose
   experiments would hold our standards today. But people say: Huh, in
   the greater part it was pseudo science. Yes, so what? Just think of
   Feynmans great "Cargo Cult Science", it shows that a lot of science
   today is pseudo. How was nazi science possible? It was a child of
   nazi germany.
 * Take the scientific revolution. Where did the knowledge of the
   scientific revolution come from like Steven Shapin asks? The "new
   scientists" laughed about the scholastics who discussed "how many
   angels can dance on top of a needle", but the logic of the new
   scientists grounded on the work of scholastics. In the field of
   chemistry the techniques of the bench work stemmed from alchemy.
   Newton himself was an alchemist.

All three examples are examples of the cleaning strategy.

But back to the two problems: a) Can there be different truths about one object of investigation? b) Are there cultural imports into science that influence the content of science?

 * Ad a): No, this is not possible. If there are two truths about one
   object, then it is due to different perspectives. But since the
   perspectives are different there are not the same conditions and
   hence not the same conclusions. But within one perspective the
   results are intersubjective and reproducable.

 * Ad b) Yes, there are such imports and there are less dramatic
   examples than those mentioned above. From my study time i knew at
   last 6 different soil classifications. I googled it now and found
   out there are even more and that pedologist have lost every
   confidence that there ever will be a universal classification. If
   you look at the classification you will reckon they are dependent on
   the soil usage and engeneering techniques. But these both vary
   greatly with different cultures.

   But pedology, physics or chemistry are not the main battle field. We
   find examples there, they are insteresting and shed a light on the
   cleaning practices, but they are not of vital importance. Like
   Foucault identified it, the main battle field is anthropology. There
   are everywhere cultural and ideological components in the content of
   the sciences arround anthropology. And that is the reason why people
   in the 60ies and 70ies read his historical investigations, which
   ended in the 19th century, as critiques of the then contemporary
   psychatry, medicine and criminology. He showed what was implicitly
   taken for granted and people didn't like to see that.

All of this hasn't something to do with fallibilism. Fallibilism works only in one perspective, the tertium non datur works only in one perspective. It has to do with pluralism and the possibility of other world views. And therefore it is a legitimate endeavour to search for traces of culture, tradition, ideology within the content of sciences. They are not free of them. Its like Fleck writes in "Wissenschaftstheoretische Probleme": "It is an extraordinary interesting thing, how far scholars who dedicate their whole life to destinct hallucinations from reality, are unable to destinct their own dreams about science from the true form of science".

Best
Stefan

Stefan, Gary F., list,

I was indeed addressing the snakebite example, just not mentioning it by name. If two traditions, two people, two of anything, arrive at incompatible conclusions about snakebites, then at most one of their conclusions is true. That's what "incompatible conclusions" means. It doesn't take Peircean semiotics or pragmatism to see it, it's elementary definitions and logic.

I haven't ever argued or believed that judgments, that two given traditions' conclusions are incompatible, are infallible. I haven't ever argued or believed that society does not influence, help, or hinder inquiry, or contribute to focusing it in some directions rather than others. This sort of thing will result in society's influencing the opinions that result from actual inquiry.

But opinion and truth are not the same thing.

Conflating opinion with truth seems to produce some light pseudo-hallucinatory fun, at least that has been my consistent experience since I was a teenager (as I said I do look at other perspectives). It's the fun of absurdity. Yet, to build a theory on the acceptance of that conflation is to build on broken logic, inquiry with its bones broken, inquiry more susceptible than ever to social manipulation, inquiry less likely than ever to be fruitful.

A challenge for inquiry and society is to overcome capricious or mischievous skews produced by society's influence on inquiry, without keeping society from helping inquiry thrive and vice versa. It's one thing for society to reward some disciplines more than others. In various cases there can be good reasons for that, bad reasons for that, and so on. The economy of inquiry itself may sometimes impoverish inquiries that would not have been all that costly and whose findings would have corrected and improved the inquiries that do proceed, but people can't know everything in advance, and people need to make choices. So inquiry will tend, even when going comparatively well, to have defects. But it can also correct and improve itself. It's another thing for society to reward disciplines with power, wealth, glamour, status, only for producing conclusions that suit society's preconceptions. And so on.

Best, Ben