From: sb [mailto:peirc...@semiotikon.de]
Sent: 23-Sep-14 5:21 AM
To: Gary Fuhrman; peirce-l@list.iupui.edu
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Re: [biosemiotics:6912] Re: Natural Propositions,

Gary F., Ben, List,

yes, it is an extremist position. Ludwik Fleck in some of his texts about the
Denkkollektive (thought collectives) comes close to this point. But his
microbiological bench research maybe prevented him to fall prey to such
solipcism. Also Latours (maybe polemic) can be read this way, but even he says
now, facing the threat of climate change deniers, that he has gone to far.
Apart from these two (and alleged epigones of social constructivism of
different strives) i would say this is a crude misrepresentation of social
constructivism.

Yes, you may be right that you and Ben are just responding, but i have the
imression that Stans polarization fell on just too fertile ground. Maybe it
activated an already existent resentiment?! Now when Gary and Cathy applaud
Bens post, i would follow them if it was not under the label of social
constructivism. If we call it solipcism/relativism/culturalism i'd be fine.
Nevertheless i feel uncomfortable with Bens post since it doesn't try to
understand Stans position.

Stan braught up the example "one must not tease certain snakes". If you tease
the snake, it bites you, injects enough poison and there are no lucky
circumstances that safe you, then you will die! These are the plain facts. But
there can be different mythologies/theories arround this snake type. At this
point i always remember the end of Ecos "Name of the Rose" when Adson and
William discuss retrospective what has happend. Adson says to William: "Over
the whole investigation we had the false premisses and the false hypothesis'
but we came up with the right conclusion". Important in this example is now
that they start with predjudice which turns out to be false. In the same manner
scientists start with personaly, socially or tradionally conditioned
predjudices.

All scientific theories have a social import which is not forced upon us by
reality.  E.g. Fleck shows in his book that until the 20th century and the
discovery of the Wassermann-reaction the syphillis research was influenced by
the religious idea of the syphillitic blood as a punishment of god. In an
enlightment perspective it is important to understand and explore such imports.
Ben argues in his response only from an epistemological standpoint and ignores
the importance of the sociologcal view Stan brings in. Sociologically the
"claim of truth" as "truth" and the will to act upon this truth is a
interesting phenomenon. At the same time Stan mixes up the epistemological and
the sociological perspective and thinks we can conclude from the sociology of
knowledge to epistemology. Once again, i do follow Bens critique, but it should
also pick up the sociological perspective.

Science is not only brought forward by empirical research and new theories, it
is also brought forward by the critique of its own social boundedness. Sure,
the sociological is from a different sphere but since it is from a different
sphere it could and should inform science. From my point of view social
constructivism/ sociology of knowledge and pragmatism are complementary, means
pragmatism delivers the right epistemology for the sociology of knowledge.

Best
Stefan