Vinicius,

(and I’m copying this to the Peirce list as it may be of interest there),

Yes, I was oversimplifying a bit for the sake of emphasis. I’m trying to follow
Peirce’s usage of these terms, and there are some contexts where he speaks of
general objects. But mainly I had in mind contexts like this:

[[ That which is not general is singular; and the singular is that which
reacts. The being of a singular may consist in the being of other singulars
which are its parts. Thus heaven and earth is a singular; and its being
consists in the being of heaven and the being of earth, each of which reacts
and is therefore a singular, forming a part of heaven and earth. If I had
denied that every perceptual judgment refers, as to its subject, to a singular,
and that singular actually reacting upon the mind in forming the judgment,
actually reacting too upon the mind in interpreting the judgment, I should have
uttered an absurdity. For every proposition whatsoever refers as to its subject
to a singular actually reacting upon the utterer of it and actually reacting
upon the interpreter of it. All propositions relate to the same ever-reacting
singular; namely, to the totality of all real objects. ]]  —Peirce, Harvard
Lecture 6 (1903), CP 5.152, EP2:208-19

Whether the object of the sign “the sun” is general or not depends on how
strictly we are applying the logical term “singular.” If we apply it with
absolute strictness, then we should say with Heraclitus that “the sun is new
each day” (or even each minute that it actually appears), as an individual
reaction has no continuity (as the concept of “the sun” obviously does).

According to Peirce, the generality of a word means that it’s up to the
interpreter to select an appropriate individual object for this occasion of the
word’s use (often with the help of a nonverbal index); he doesn’t say that the
dynamic object is general just because we have a concept habitually associated
with the word. However, if we say that the earth revolves around the sun,
that’s a fact, therefore a proposition, therefore a general. When we talk about
facts, then, we are in some sense talking about general objects. That doesn’t
mean that the dynamic objects of the facts we’re talking about are necessarily
general.

Gary f.