Howard, Kalevi, Edwina, Tori, Jeff D., lists,

Thanks for your post below, Howard, it clarifies things. You wrote,

   The only "self" in "self-replication" that evolves is the heritable
   symbolic information.
   [End quote]

It sounds like the 'self' that gets replicated is a species-self or lineage-bearing self, a kind-self, as embodied, moreover, in an individual. So it seems we've been taking the phrase 'individual self' in the cross lights of different senses. Anyway I don't think we disagree much about it.

It also reminds me of the classical argument about what is _/primary substance/_, is it the concrete individual or is it the species. I remember Aristotle in "The Categories" giving _/this man, this horse/_ as examples of 'primary substance'. That's not the same thing as giving Socrates and Bucephalus, or, more austerely expressed, _/this/_ and _/that/_, so-called 'bare particulars', as examples, nor the same thing as giving Human and Horse, kinds seen abstractly, as examples. (For my part I go with very 'thick' particulars - thick not only with historical-geographical connections and with qualities but also with alternatives, potentialities, probabilities, mathematical relations, and so on - and see abstractions such as bare particulars and species as 'secondary' or at any rate non-'primary' substance.)

On the subject of symbols and icons, another distinction that seems simple enough in some contexts yet confusing in others is that between repetition and replication/reproduction. Repeated observation, by the same inquirer with the same setup, helps uncover or corroborate an average, a frequency, a ratio; reproduced observation, by another inquirer (or even the same inquirer) with a reproduced setup, typically aims to check a seemingly significant observation (the 'sanity check'). Emulation is the replication in oneself of goal-oriented characteristics or behavior found in another. The idea of emulation or replication of characters involves valuation and selectiveness; art as imitation of the processes of the real is "selection, or selective composition" as Wordsworth I think put it. The idea of practice involves that of repetition, the rhythms of work, and so on; the idea of generally valuing an end or valuing for an end, involves that of replication or emulation. Simplistically put, material processes involve repetition; organismic processes, replication. So, if symbols involve dispositions, habits, repetition, growth, etc., as icons involve 'reproduction' of characters, this puts your question of matter (or material process) versus symbols in an ironic light - that of two very different kinds of repeatability - I don't mean in a bad way, it's just striking, that's all. I'm not sure quite what to make of it.

In common English, a _/replica/_ is a kind of semblance, likeness, copy, icon, of something. Peirce calls a symbol-instance a 'replica' of a symbol. Now, one certainly can and needs to copy and replicate symbols. Still, symbols are not basically replications or reproductions of their objects, they're not icons produced from their objects. At any rate, are instances or Peircean 'replicas' per se of a symbol really icons of a symbol? I'm inclined to see them as repetitions of the symbol and, more generally, the symbol - which represents its object by a disposition or habit of representation apart from resemblance or connection to the object - as a repeatability or repetition of its object. That sounds pretty incredible at first. Yet the symbol's basic object is a kind of thought, it can symbolize other things insofar as they can be regarded as embodying thoughts or ideas that one may have of them; and in a way a symbol _/is/_ a thought, often clothed in language ('dog' and _/perro/_ are pretty much the same thought in two languages, thus two special symbols instancing the same more-general symbol in Peirce's perspective), so the symbol can be said to repeat its thought-object rather than merely resemble or emulate it. When a symbol behaves in logic and language as the thought of its object would behave, appear as frequently, and so on, then it is suited to represent that object with the aid of icons and indices that helped guide its behavior in the first place. But sometimes we're dealing with a symbol of a thought of a thought and such icons and indices are not so readily available; like you point out, sometimes symbols represent invisibles, intangibles, etc.

Now, you said that spatial and temporal displacement and prepositions have no natural icons. I partly disagree and partly agree, if I take 'natural' in what seems your sense. I'd say that displacement has natural icons - two objects as far from each other as two other objects are from each other can be used in order to iconically portray the displacement between the two other objects. Stories can represent time by mirroring a chronological order and pacing of events by the chronological order and pacing of their telling. However, time as considered modally, expressed with 'did', 'does', 'will', etc., does lack natural icons as far as I can tell; it's hard to think of an index or an icon of futurity as such; one can point westward but how does one point futureward? If one points westward in order to indicate the direction itself rather than some object in that direction, isn't the act more diagrammatic than indexical? Well, I'm unsure of that. Still, if one uses a pregnant animal as a sign of futurity, isn't the act more symbolic than iconic? Likewise it's hard to think of a natural icon for probabilities, 'if-then', and so on, alternatives among cases or worlds. Instead we apply diagrams whose transformabilities mirror those of logic etc. Mathematical diagrams seem to represent relations or prepositions so directly that they are their own 'generic' objects, anyway observations of their individual instances in experimental transformations count (with some due mathematician-fallibilism) as observations of their objects insofar as their objects are universal hypothetical possibilities, while application to concrete cases leads one formally into non-deductive inferences and increased fallibility.

I'd better trail off here. I'd have returned to the thread sooner but I was immersed for the past four weeks in a plumbing project at the co-op building where I live, and maybe that's why this post seems to have an aspect of complex pipes.

Best, Ben