Ben N ~ 
I tried several times to download your dissertation, but the website was 
unresponsive.  So I gave up. 
Regards,
Tom Wyrick




> On Jul 11, 2015, at 11:52 AM, Ben Novak <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> Dear Ben U:
> 
> I see that the discussion is going in a very different direction than what I 
> hoped for by introducing my book on this thread. However, I would like to 
> engage with Ben Udell who has seriously attempted to engage with the book and 
> lead the discussion back to matters of relevance to Peirce-L.
> 
> Allow me to thank Ben U actually reading the dissertation; for his comments 
> encouraging others to read the book; and for stressing its direct relevance 
> to Peirce and the purpose of the Peirce-L discussion list.
> 
> First, thanks for the complimentary comments: 
> (Methological note: I put quotes from previous emails in red; quotes from 
> other sources in blue)
> 
> It really is very readable, and that involvement of Hitler does add a certain 
> electric current to the discussion of abductive inference. It's not a labor 
> to read, and it's quite interesting.
> 
> 
> 
> Anyway, I'm enjoying reading it. One can certainly say that Ben Novak has 
> made a serious effort, deserving of more attention than what some rather 
> pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey stuff has received occasionally on peirce-l.
> 
> 
> 
> Ben N. is on to something. 
> 
> 
> 
> There's no requirement, only an invitation, for peirce-listers to read Ben 
> N.'s book. I do like the idea that a thesis should be summarizable during an 
> elevator ride but sometimes, for whatever one reason, such a summary isn't 
> available. But the difficulty of reading at least some of the thesis is 
> mainly computer-technical, the writing itself is very readable. 
> 
>  
> 
> Next, I thank Ben U for his comments relative to the relevance of the the 
> work to Peirce scholars:
> 
> I should add, just to be sure, that there is a significant amount of 
> explicitly Peirce-related material in Ben N.'s book.
> 
> 
> To be clear, a good deal of the book consists in Ben N.'s explicit and 
> detailed application of Peirce's theory of abductive inference (especially as 
> outlined by Peirce in "The Logic of Drawing History from Ancient Documents, 
> especially Testimonies") to facts of Hitler's life. That procedure makes the 
> book particularly Peirce-related. 
> 
> Finally, since Ben U has been kind enough to read the book, I will gladly 
> engage the critical questions he raises.
> 
> His most important questions relate to whether any explanation at all is 
> necessary, which he states this way:
> 
> So far, I'd say that the case is not made clear enough to the general reader 
> that Hitler didn't just get lucky in the sense that some party had to come 
> out on top or, in the classic formulation, "somebody has to be the king of 
> France."
> 
> 
> 
> Allow me to answer that from a historiographical perspective, i.e., the 
> frustrations of historians at attempting to understand the rise of 
> Hitler--and the uniqueness of their felt inability to understand him and what 
> he did and how he did it. Attached is a 22-page compilation of quotations 
> from historians and observers about the mystery Hitler presents. I urge you 
> to peruse it. Hopefully it may convince you that, at least from the point of 
> view of historians (if not laypeople,) the mystery of Hitler and especially 
> his rise to power is huge and disturbing. I tried to discuss this in my first 
> chapter, but could not reasonably include all the materials in this 
> compilation. 
> 
> 
> 
> Now, it is only when one realizes the extent of the sense of mystery among 
> historians that one can appreciate the task my dissertation study undertakes. 
> For example, Robert G. L. Waite who writes: "My own approach about this 
> matter can be simply stated. I welcome any methodological approach to Hitler 
> that gives me a better understanding of him."  
> 
> 
> If the identification of adductive logic is shown to help in any way to solve 
> this problem, it would be a big event for Peirce scholars. 
> 
> 
> 
> Finally, I would like to respond especially to your expressed doubts as to 
> whether Hitler is unique or in any way the first political leader to use 
> adductive logic, which you raise this way:
> 
> 
> 
> As to how unique Hitler was or wasn't in this, maybe I'll have more to say 
> later. 
> 
> 
> 
> I'd ask, is Ben N. so sure that Hitler was the first such leader? Many other 
> regimes have 'explanations' that they give to their people, sometimes 
> involving the idea of hidden forces behind events.
> 
> 
> 
> You raise a good question that I did not address in my book, though I have 
> given it considerable thought. The more complete answer is that while Hitler 
> may not have been the first to use adductive logic, he was the first to use 
> it when there was a public familiarity with it, and a public receptivity for 
> it. 
> 
> 
> 
> It is difficult for us, particularly Peirceans, to recall how new the use of 
> adductive logic is among the public. Peirce writes somewhere that each age is 
> determined by its dominant form of logic. Abductive logic really entered the 
> popular consciousness with the advent of Sherlock Holmes and Karl May. Prior 
> to that, the dominant logic used by people was inductive, while prior to the 
> advent of the Enlightenment it was deductive. I have come across several 
> sources describing the difficulty of getting police forces in the US to look 
> for clues to crimes as Sherlock Holmes did--as late as the 1930s!!! 
> 
> 
> 
> If I may be allowed a broad general statement as an hypothesis that I have 
> not proved but think can be well established: that adductive logic has become 
> the dominant form of logic today, and that that is a relatively recent 
> occurrence, within the  last century. Now, it was only the spreading of this 
> form of logic, and the public's familiarity with the detective story/murder 
> mystery form, that made it possible for a political leader to craft a 
> political approach based on adductive logic as I have outlined it in the 
> book. For me personally, it makes all the sense in the world that Hitler rose 
> to power in the "Golden Age of the Detective Novel/Murder Mystery
> 
> 
> 
> This is a broad statement, but I ask you to consider it in determining for 
> yourself whether, and in what way, Hitler might be at least relatively unique 
> in applying adductive logic, in the particular age in which he did it.
> 
> 
> 
> Thanks, Ben Udell, for taking the time to read the dissertation, and also for 
> your efforts--so far unsuccessful--to guide the discussion toward the Peirce 
> related aspects of the book.
> 
> 
> 
> Sincerely,
> 
> Ben N.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Ben Novak
> 
> 5129 Taylor Drive, Ave Maria, FL 34142
> Telephones: 
> Magic Jack: (717) 826-5224 Best to call and leave messages.
> Landline: 239-455-4200 My brother's main phone line.
> Mobile (202) 509-2655 I use this only on trips--and in any event messages 
> arrive days late.
> Skype: BenNovak2
> 
> "All art is mortal, not merely the individual artifacts, but the arts 
> themselves. One day the last portrait of Rembrandt and the last bar of Mozart 
> will have ceased to be — though possibly a colored canvas and a sheet of 
> notes may remain — because the last eye and the last ear accessible to their 
> message will have gone." Oswald Spengler
> 
>> On Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 4:31 AM, Helmut Raulien <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Ben, Edwina, List,
>> I think, you both are right: Edwina, your analysis is correct, and Ben, what 
>> you have said about the mentality of just taking orders, too. Already Martin 
>> Luther had said: "Be underlings of authority"- in a theological context ok, 
>> but the statement as a sign is a general one. Also, the Germans had not had 
>> the experience of having successfully fought for liberty (such as the French 
>> and the Americans with their revolutions). This is a strong sign too: "we 
>> are different". All these representamens had worked together in a synergy. 
>> So these causes have not competed with each other. The competition lies in 
>> the question, at which cause of fascism to put the lever at first, to help 
>> people liberate themselves from a fascism-like sytem. On the other hand: 
>> Representamens do not synergically work together in one Sign, but each one 
>> in one Sign, and the Signs follow each other up. So it cannot be excluded, 
>> that there might be a first cause of fascism, and your discussion is 
>> important. I guess, that a thorough analysis of the semiotics of fascism is 
>> required.
>> Best,
>> Helmut
>> 
>> "Benjamin Udell" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>  
>> Having grown up in the 1960s on Manhattan's West Side, when WWII wasn't so 
>> long ago and a German accent was immediately associated to movies and TV 
>> series about Nazis, I admit that I may be unduly predisposed to regard 
>> certain strains of militarism, morality by government fiat, and 'just taking 
>> orders' as problematic aspects of the early-20th-Century German culture. 
>> Also I read _Roots of the Nazi Mentality_ when I was an impressionable kid.
>> 
>> But I don't think that power affairs (military+politics) and economics are 
>> everything against culture (glamour!) and society (status!) as some sort of 
>> zero. You've a case to make there, Edwina, if you wish to convince people. 
>> The problematic character of early-20th-Century German attitudes - 
>> militarism, morality by government fiat, 'just taking orders' - have not 
>> gone unnoticed by anybody around Germany. The reunification of Germany in 
>> the 1990s involved US guarantees of maintaining military bases in Germany, 
>> guarantees sought by the French and other governments.
>> 
>> Best, Ben
>> 
>> On 7/10/2015 3:16 PM, Edwina Taborsky wrote:
>> 
>> No, Helmut, I don't think that the German people 'had more barbaric 
>> instincts than other people'. We are all similar in our capacity for 
>> emotional irrationality and violence. When a societal system of law and 
>> order breaks down for various reasons, i.e., is not providing security, is 
>> not functioning in a just and fair manner, is corrupt, , is subverted by a 
>> higher authority - then, the 'cooling off' phase of rational examination of 
>> the situation is rejected - and we get either a mob, or a 'controlled mob, 
>> i.e., a band of thugs'.
>> 
>> Democracy is not, in itself, a barrier against barbarism. As Tolstoy said, 
>> 'Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority shares in it'.  
>> Democracy, to be just, requires a constitution and the rule of law, set up 
>> as created by men, and capable of change by men, but applicable to all.
>> 
>> Edwina
>> 
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: Helmut Raulien
>> To: Ozzie
>> Cc: Edwina Taborsky ; <[email protected]> ; Peirce List
>> Sent: Friday, July 10, 2015 2:51 PM
>> Subject: Aw: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Recently published: Hitler and Abductive Logic
>> 
>> I agree, that his "abduction-type message is" only "a big part of that 
>> success". Tenacity, authority and apriori also are. I wrote, that a false 
>> abduction to laypersons of logic can look like a proper conclusion. But not 
>> all Germans were too much laypersons to see the lies (eg. Heidegger). 
>> Nevertheless they followed him. Putting the emphasis on Hitlers intelligent 
>> ways of manipulation should not assign him a bigger part of the guilt, and 
>> lessen the guilt of the Germans. They had more barbaric instincts than the 
>> other peoples, and were no democrats. Other in than other nations, there has 
>> not been a democratic constitution initiated by the people.
>> Best,
>> Helmut
>> 
>>  Ozzie <[email protected]>
>> 
>> ----------------------------- PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or 
>> "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go 
>> to [email protected] . To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L 
>> but to [email protected] with the line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY 
>> of the message. More at http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .
>> 
>> 
>> -----------------------------
>> PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON 
>> PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to 
>> [email protected] . To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but 
>> to [email protected] with the line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of 
>> the message. More at http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .
> 
> <03-09-09 The Mystery of H as Seen by Scholars.docx>
> 
> -----------------------------
> PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON 
> PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] 
> . To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] 
> with the line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
> http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .
> 
> 
> 
> 
-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to