Jon wrote,

[[ Peirce's existential graphs are a general calculus for expressing the same
subject matter as his earlier logic of relative terms and thus they serve to
represent the structures of many-place relations. ]]

Peirce wrote,

[[[ this system is not intended as a calculus, or apparatus by which
conclusions can be reached and problems solved with greater facility than by
more familiar systems of expression. Although some writers have studied the
logical algebras invented by me with that end apparently in view, in my own
opinion their structure, as well as that of the present system, is quite
antagonistic to much utility of that sort. The principal desideratum in a
calculus is that it should be able to pass with security at one bound over a
series of difficult inferential steps. What these abbreviated inferences may
best be, will depend upon the special nature of the subject under discussion.
But in my algebras and graphs, far from anything of that sort being attempted,
the whole effort has been to dissect the operations of inference into as many
distinct steps as possible.  —CP 4.424 (c.1903) ]]]

[[[ The sheet of the graphs in all its states collectively, together with the
laws of its transformations, corresponds to and represents the Mind in its
relation to its thoughts, considered as signs. … The scribed graphs are
determinations of the sheet, just as thoughts are determinations of the mind;
and the mind itself is a comprehensive thought just as the sheet considered in
all its actual transformation-states and transformations, taken collectively,
is a graph-instance and taken in all its permissible transformations is a
graph. Thus the system of existential graphs is a rough and generalized diagram
of the Mind, and it gives a better idea of what the mind is, from the point of
view of logic, than could be conveyed by any abstract account of it. —CP 5.482,
1906 ]]]

Gary f.