Jeff D., List,

I’ve been too sick to think straight for the past week, so pardon my belated
response to your post, Jeff. My replies are inserted below.    — gary f.

From: Jeffrey Brian Downard [mailto:jeffrey.down...@nau.edu]
Sent: 24-Apr-16 19:49

List,

The first question I'd like to address is: what is Peirce's general account of
the concept of "determines"? In searching for a general account, I'm not
looking for a conception that is developed solely for use in some specific area
of inquiry--such as the study of dynamics in physics, or the study of formal
logical systems in mathematical logic.  Rather, I'm trying to follow Peirce's
lead in MS 612.  There, he starts with an explanation of how we use the concept
of "determine" in ordinary experience when explaining what it is for a person
to make a decision and form an intention about how they will act.  Then, he
says that his aim is to broaden this concept so that it will have a
considerably wider use.

Gf: I’ve been perusing those pages in MS 612 and hope others are doing the
same; “From the Page” is shaping up to be a great resource for students of
Peirce, and I hope others will get involved in the transcription project. (The
links you gave previously are included below, near the bottom of this post). Of
course, we are not going to find “Peirce's general account of the concept of
"determines"” in the form of an explicit text, either in his manuscripts or
anywhere else, nor will we be able to produce a definitive one, because it’s
something that each reader has to work out inductively from many experiences
and experiments with of Peirce’s actual usage of the concept. But I think
you’ve pointed the way to how that process should work. Naturally we start with
the dictionary definitions (which you quoted below from the Century) and
whatever other explicit definitions we can find in Peirce, but the real work is
to develop a robust and refined sense of how the concept functions implicitly
to play its exact role in determining the logical interpretants of the
propositions and arguments within which it actually functions.

That, I believe, is Peirce's methodological strategy for working with a number
of conceptions in philosophy.  Where there is a special need for technical
terminology, he looks to see how other philosophers have been using a
conception (i.e., the conceptions of breadth, depth, connotation and
denotation).  If there is nothing in the prior works in philosophy that
adequately captures the conception he is trying to develop, then he introduces
a technical term (i.e., a qualisign).

Gf: I think you mean e.g. rather than i.e. — i.e. you are giving “qualisign” as
an example of a technical term. “Determine” is of course not a technical term
in that sense, as Peirce’s usage does not depart from the standard usage of the
word in the sciences, or even from more common usage, although as usual with
him he tries to use it as exactly as possible. He also tries to give an
analysis (i.e. a definition) of “determination” but finds it extremely
difficult (as witness EP2:362, for instance). So when I did my own
investigation of what Peirce means by “determines” (especially in his
definitions of “sign”), I ended up collecting many instances of Peirce’s usage
of the concept in various contexts that throw some light (for me) on how it
functions implicitly.

 In some cases, there is no need for such technical terminology--such as when
we are developing an account of self-control and need to employ concepts such
as "decision" and "intention."   As Peirce sets up his normative theories of
aesthetics, ethics and semiotics, he is working from a conception of
"determines" that is drawn--first and foremost--from common experience.  He
adopts the same approach when refining and using other key conceptions, such as
the concept "cause." Here is what Peirce says about his use of that concept:

Everybody will make slips in the use of words that have been on his lips from
before the time when he learned to think; but the practice which I endeavor to
follow in regard to the word cause is to use it in the Aristotelian sense of an
efficient cause, in all its crudeness. In short, I refuse to use it at all as a
philosophical word. When my conception is of a dynamical character, I endeavour
to employ the accepted terminology of dynamics; and when my idea is a more
general and logical one, I prefer to speak of the explanation. (CP 6.600)

Gf: I’m not sure of the date of CP 6.600, but I assume it must be earlier than
1898, where Peirce departed from the intention stated above by giving a whole
lecture on causation (RLT). Anyway your point about Peirce’s method of
“refining” such conceptions is well taken.

In saying that he intends to use the "Aristotelian sense of an efficient cause,
in all its crudeness," I believe he is saying  that Aristotle's conception of
efficient cause was drawn from ordinary experience and common sense.  So, with
that short explanation of the strategy I believe Peirce is employing in working
out a general account of the conception of "determines", let's compare what he
says says in the early pages of MS 612 to the definitions he provides for the
Century Dictionary.  Starting with the general idea of what it is for a person
to form a determination, he engages in a dialogue about what having such a
determination seems to involve.  As such, he is working from a use of
determines that matches the 8th definition of the transitive meaning of
"determines," or the 1st definition of the intransitive meaning.

Gf: Yes, it’s the transitive usage that predominates in semiotic. I’m also
intrigued by the usage “in logic” that Peirce specified in the CD, “to explain
or limit by adding differences.” I wonder what would happen if I asked readers
to give a specific example or two of “adding differences” as a way of
explaining or limiting something.

Determine

I. Transitive

1. To fix the bounds of, mark off, settle, fix, establish

2. To limit in space or extent; for the limits of; bound; shut in: as yonder
hill determines our view.

3. To ascertain or state definitely; make out; find out; settle; decide upon as
after consideration or investigation: as to determine the species of any animal
or a plant; to determine the height of a mountain, or the quantity of nitrogen
in the atmosphere.

4. In logic, to explain or limit by adding differences.

--5. To bring to a conclusion; put to an end; end

--6. To find, as the solution of a problem; end, as a dispute, by judicial or
other final decision: as, the court determined the cause.

7. To fix or settle definitely; make specific or certain; decide the state or
character of.

8. To come to a definite intention in respect of; resolve on; decide: as he
determined to remain.

9. To give direction or tendency to; decide the course of; as impulse may
determine a moving body to this or that point.

10. To influence the choice of; cause to come to a conclusion or resolution:
as, this circumstance determined him to the study of law.

II. Intransitive

1.      ​       To come to a decision or resolution; settle definitely on some
line of conduct.
2.             To come to a close; end terminate.
3.             To come to a determinate end in time, reach a fixed or definite
limit; cease to exist or to be in force.

 Determined:

1.            Limited, restricted; confined within bounds; circumscribed
2.             Definite; determinate; precisely marked.
3.             Characterized by or showing determination or fixed purpose;
resolute: as a determined many; a determined countenance: a determined effort
4.             Unfaltering; unflinching, unwavering

Determining:

1. Having the power of fixing; directing, regulating, or controlling: as
determining influences or conditions.

Jon Awbrey refers us to work he has done on the function of logical constraints
in Peirce's account of information as extension x comprehension.  Jon's nicely
developed remarks are helpful in a number of ways.  Given my goal of trying to
arrive at a clearer understanding of Peirce's general account of "determines,"
however, I plan to hold off on questions about the concepts of "definition",
"information" and the like in the science of logic.  Rather, I'd like to focus
on the more general question of how we should work from a nominal definition,
to a logical definition, to a real definition of "determines" that will meet
our needs in the normative sciences generally.  The aim, as I've suggested
before, is to see how we might use the pragmatic maxim to help us arrive at a
third grade of clarity about the meaning of the conception of "determines".
That will help us understand how the conception might be used to formulate
explanatory hypotheses in philosophy--such as the hypotheses that Peirce offers
of what it is for an object to determine a sign, or for a sign to determine an
interpretant, etc.

Gf: As I tried to explain above, a real definition (in the sense you mean)
cannot be given as a verbal formulation; it can only be developed as a
functional component of the individual reader’s semiotic habit-system.

I’d be happy to share some more of the Peirce texts that interest me for the
light they throw on the concept of determination, but of course I can’t
guarantee that they will be interesting to others.

Yours,

Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor