Jon S, List,

Jon quoted me and remarked:

*Peirce's conception of the being of Jesus (that is, Christ seen as both
the very incarnation of God and truly man) is one I'm wholly unprepared to
consider at this time.*

*I would love to consider this question, but I have no idea whether or
where Peirce might have addressed it.  *

I too do not know if Peirce addressed this question. I'm thinking that a
good place to start to look for at least hints might be in Vincent C.
Potter's work. I say this because I just ran across a comment he made in*
Reason, Experience, and God: John E. Smith in Dialogue*. Potter writes:

I would like to add here on my account that when it coms to understanding
the conditions of possibility of special disclosure or revelation in holy
persons or historical events, disclosure of God in the natural order is
first required as a real possibility since without it there would be no way
of telling what is allegedly disclosed in these persons and events is truly
God. Hence I have argued [in "Revelation and 'Natural' Knowledge of God"]
and would argue that some form of "natural knowledge" of God must be
possible if there is to be any "super-natural revelation." It seems to me
self-evident that in this matter dogmatism is unsatisfactory and  an appeal
to privileged mystical arbitrary" (13).

In his response, Smith writes "What Potter is driving at here is not wholly
clear to me" (90). It is "wholly clear" to me either. Any thoughts?

As for the Gospel of John, Peirce refers to John as "the ontological
gospeler" whom he says made "the One Supreme Being, by whom all things have
been made out of nothing, to be cherishing love" (6.287). How this might
relate to the famous first chapter of that Gospel (which John Sowa also
pointed to) in consideration of our question, I'm uncertain.

Returning to Potter, a quick review of his *Charles S. Peirce: On Norms and
Ideals* disappointingly does *not* seem to offer any pointers to anything
Peirce wrote concerning Christ's being; this is also the case as regards
his *Peirce's Philosophical Perspectives*. In the latter work he does
remind us that Peirce held that we "will find no more adequate way of
conceiving this 'Supreme Agency' then as 'vaguely like a man' (5.536)" (On
Norms, etc. 175). However, that would seem apply to God more generally.

Approaching it from different perspective, in a letter to Benjamin Rush
during his first term as President, Thomas Jefferson wrote:

"I am a Christian in the only sense in which he wished one to be; sincerely
attached to his doctrines, in preference to all others" (quoted in
Potter's *Doctrine
and Experience: Essays in American Philosophy*, 38).

I am currently of the opinion that Peirce saw Jesus more or less in this
way as well, so we are exhorted by Peirce to follow Jesus' doctrines if we
are to consider ourselves true followers (good advice, no doubt).

On the other hand, there are those who have argued that there are
suggestions that Peirce believed in the triune God of Christian orthodoxy.
But this too is another question, even if perhaps a closely related one.

In his 2002 disseration, available only in German I believe, Martin
Schmuck takes
yet another approach (according to a translation of the publisher's
description):  "Both Peirce's "Religion of Science" and the revised
naturalistic ontology [. . .] used [by Schmuck] to realize the concept of a
modern theology of Christian faith which provides a profoundly naturalistic
interpretation of the Christian creed."
http://www.iupui.edu/~arisbe/newbooks.htm#schmuck

So, at the moment, as interesting as the question of the nature of Jesus'
being may be in and of itself, I do not think (or, at least, have not been
able to find) much (any?) Peircean material to go on to justifiably take up
that admittedly very interesting topic in the forum.

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]

*Gary Richmond*