> On Nov 3, 2016, at 12:23 PM, Søren Brier <sb....@cbs.dk> wrote:
>
> Quantum filed theory seems to have arrived at such a foundational
> ur-continuity.

I’m not sure that’s right. There’s certainly a type of continuity in quantum
field theory but it’s unlike Peirce’s ur-continutiy because QFT pretty well
assumes space/time are in some sense well defined. As soon as you start trying
to deal with space/time more critically you end up having problems which is of
course why string theory and other models like loop quantum gravity arose.

Peirce’s ur-continuity largely is following a platonic emanation model and thus
is logically before space and time. (Even space in the Timaeus is a much more
abstract notion of receptacle even if it clearly is metaphorically tied to our
experience of space) I think it’s therefore misleading to apply QFT to Peirce
here.

> What fascinates me with this interpretation is that it changes the conception
> of God from the  person creator  we are used in standard Christianity and
> many other religions to a general process ontology…

I’m not sure the creator in standard Christianity is a person-creator. At least
as I understand most of the theology. I think the typical lay belief about
creation is much more a bearded man making everything but that’s simply not
what you encounter in Augustine, Aquinas, Duns Scotus or others. This gets into
my comment last week between God as Being or source of Being versus God as
intervening being.

The process view that I think comes closest to Peirce is a kind of halfway
point between the two views in traditional Christianity. It’s not really being
or ground but neither is it really an intervening being. (That’s especially
true in Peirce’s real but not existing view)

An other way of putting this is to look at the various forms of
Christian/Platonism that were less traditional. So gnosticism had the Platonic
One as God and also had Jesus but had Plato’s demiurge as a kind of evil in
between being. (Often associated by them with the God of the Old Testament for
various reasons) You get similar ideas in a more positive way in Kabbalism with
the En Sof as the platonic One and Adam Kadmon being similar to the demiurge.
The logic of God that Peirce seems focused on is the demiurge even though he
breaks it into three components. Although again that’s not without precedence.
The various gnostic groups often got complicated in their emanation theories.
The 12th century Kabbalisms tied Adam Kadmon to the Sefiroth or a set of 10
complicated emanations.

> building on phenomenology in its metaphysics and thus allows for the
> qualitative sciences in a sort of non-reductive view of all the sciences that
> is not fundamentally opposing as spiritual world view and it makes a lot of
> theory of meditation plausible, which we have not between able to handle
> physiologically or psychologically  so far.

Not quite sure what you mean here.

> Thus it allows a dialog between science and spirituality and leaves the
> theist religions to faith, as I think they should. The subjective relation
> with the divine should in  my view be a personal  thing. The possibility of
> it not.

I’m not sure I agree here. I think faith has a complicated role in Peirce. I
think Peirce’s view of the theistic religions, especially Christianity, was
that it shouldn’t be left to faith typically. That is there’s a functional
faith tied to inquiry and evolution Peirce saw as valuable. There’s an other
type of faith that cuts off inquiry that Peirce would see as closer to
accepting dogmatism and far from praiseworthy.