Dear list:

I came across this portion of *Measure for Measure* by Shakespeare through
Peirce's *Man's Glassy Essence*.

I feel like this relates to the present discussion somehow but the
exactness is lost on me.  Not sure that a historicist reading is even
possible.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Takes note of what is done; and, like a prophet,
Looks in a glass, that shows what future evils…

but man, proud man,
Drest in a little brief authority,
Most ignorant of what he's most assured,
His glassy essence, like an angry ape,
Plays such fantastic tricks before high heaven
As make the angels weep; who, with our spleens,
Would all themselves laugh mortal.

Best,

Jerry R