On 11/4/2016 9:19 AM, John F Sowa wrote:
On 11/4/2016 8:57 AM, Edwina Taborsky wrote:
my own view that our 'existential cosmos' IS a three category semiosic
universe. That is, my view is that the three categories only emerge
within the existentiality of the matter/mind universe.

Yes.  But at the instant of the Big Bang and for some time thereafter,
there were no minds or quasi-minds that could perceive and interpret
that existence.  But there was a physical kind of monadic and dyadic
pre-semiosis.

I do not see where life or minds are a prerequisite for Thirdness. My interpretation of Peirce is that the natural physical laws governing matter that emerged after the Big Bang provide the generalities or "habits" sufficient to qualify as Thirdness. Did he not also point to crystals and the purely physical world?

Thought is not necessarily connected with a brain. It appears in the
work of bees, of crystals, and throughout the purely physical world; and one can
no more deny that it is really there, than that the colors, the shapes, etc., of objects
are really there. CP 4.551

Mike