Mike, list - I totally, fully agree.

Edwina
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Mike Bergman
  To: peirce-l@list.iupui.edu
  Sent: Friday, November 04, 2016 11:11 AM
  Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Metaphysics and Nothing (was Peirce's Cosmology)

  On 11/4/2016 9:19 AM, John F Sowa wrote:

    On 11/4/2016 8:57 AM, Edwina Taborsky wrote:

      my own view that our 'existential cosmos' IS a three category semiosic
      universe. That is, my view is that the three categories only emerge
      within the existentiality of the matter/mind universe.

    Yes.  But at the instant of the Big Bang and for some time thereafter,
    there were no minds or quasi-minds that could perceive and interpret
    that existence.  But there was a physical kind of monadic and dyadic
    pre-semiosis.

  I do not see where life or minds are a prerequisite for Thirdness. My
interpretation of Peirce is that the natural physical laws governing matter
that emerged after the Big Bang provide the generalities or "habits" sufficient
to qualify as Thirdness. Did he not also point to crystals and the purely
physical world?

    Thought is not necessarily connected with a brain. It appears in the
    work of bees, of crystals, and throughout the purely physical world; and
one can
    no more deny that it is really there, than that the colors, the shapes,
etc., of objects
    are really there. CP 4.551

  Mike