John, List:

JFS:  I believe that both reviewers saw the same issues, and they represent
complementary rather than opposite opinions.

What struck me was the vast difference in tone.  Houser sought to give a
fair summary of the book's contents, and then offered that one last
paragraph about its "shortcomings."  By contrast, Short was negative and
dismissive throughout.

JFS:  Short noted that Forster quoted very few of the citations verbatim,
and his summaries and paraphrases used terminology that CSP himself never
used.

There are lots of verbatim quotes in the footnotes, and sometimes a summary
or paraphrase in different words can be genuinely helpful.  Otherwise,
there would be little or no need for the secondary literature at all.

JFS:  Whether you call it general, inaccurate, distorted, or unreliable is
a matter of opinion.

It seems telling that three of the four options that you presented here are
negative, and the other one is neutral.  As I recall, Forster included the
date with most of his Peirce citations--a practice that I have adopted
myself, on this List and elsewhere--so as a reader, I was able to see
clearly when he was drawing from earlier vs. later material.  I did not
sense the latter to be lacking to the extent that Short, especially,
implied.

JFS:  It may be a useful introduction, but it's important to read Peirce's
originals for a more precise understanding of the issues.

On this, we are in complete agreement.