> On Jan 11, 2017, at 11:01 AM, Jon Alan Schmidt <jonalanschm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> It seems telling that three of the four options that you presented here are
> negative, and the other one is neutral.  As I recall, Forster included the
> date with most of his Peirce citations--a practice that I have adopted
> myself, on this List and elsewhere--so as a reader, I was able to see clearly
> when he was drawing from earlier vs. later material.  I did not sense the
> latter to be lacking to the extent that Short, especially, implied.

I wish more books did this. I think it’d clarify a lot more issues and help
authors avoid some problems. Even some otherwise excellent books I’ve
thoroughly liked have fallen into the trap of mixing quotes from very different
periods and perhaps misrepresenting Peirce.

While again I think Peirce’s changes aren’t as significant as some, they do
matter. I tend to focus primarily on his work in the 90’s onward with a bias to
those after his move to modal realism around ’97 or so. That’s not to deny from
a philosophical standpoint the value of the earlier texts. However they can
sometimes be misleading especially relative to the pragmatic maxim before
adopting a more counterfactual approach.

That said I also think we have to distinguish between history and philosophy.
In a certain way the arguments matter most.

> On Jan 11, 2017, at 8:32 AM, John F Sowa <s...@bestweb.net> wrote:
>
> Re: The favorable review by Nathan Houser and the highly critical
> review by T. L. Short.
>
> I believe that both reviewers saw the same issues, and they
> represent complementary rather than opposite opinions.

Out of curiosity have you read the Forster book? I’d be interested in your
thoughts.

The biggest failing I’d say thus far in my reading is not engaging secondary
literature more.