Eric - I have a perhaps slightly different view of the topic than a
philosophical approach.

As an example - let's say there are 10 rabbits in my garden. A nominalist would
say - there are ten individual rabbits..a total of ten. A realist asks 'Is
there such a 'force' as 'rabbitness, which empowered the singular existence of
rabbits in the past and will empower them in the future into my garden?

The nominalist says: No such 'force'; just a collection of individual rabbits -
The individual things that you perceive all by yourself as an individual, is
what there is in the real world.

The realist says: Yes, there is such a force; it provides continuity-of-type.
It's 'instantiated' in each particular rabbit, but it's real, even if 'it'
doesn't exist all by itself in space and time; even if this force-of-continuity
only functions as instantiated in each rabbit.

Another example would be..beauty. Is there such a 'force' as beauty, or is the
attribute of beauty simply the subjective opinion of one individual looking at
an individual person/object.

The nominalist/conceptualist says: It's all individual. There is no
non-individual 'force'; it's what each person sees.

The realist says: No - there IS a real force that operates as
continuity-of-type; it is 'instantiated' in an individual existential
object..but still, that force is real.

I consider that Nominalism as a societal force began to develop in the 13th
century, the beginning of the 400 year long battle with the Church over the
control of knowledge. The Church rejected the rights of individual man to
reason, think, analyze; he was merely to accept the words of the church. Such a
control over knowledge greatly hampered technological development, for no
individual could question the dictates of the Church. So, disease was 'caused'
by your own sins or the witch on the hill...etc..

But in the 13th c, with its population increases and concomitant disease,
plagues, etc..technological change was vital. The era of DOUBT and questions BY
individuals began...bitterly fought by the Church. So - there's such as Abelard
with his 'dubitando'[ I doubt]; the great tale of Percival by Chretien de
Troyes which told of the devastation in the land wrought by a young man,
Percival because he did not question what was going on before his eyes;....and
other developments...which all began to assert the right of the individual to
evaluate and judge what was going on in the material world before him. This led
to Nominalism - and it played a huge role in enabling technological and
intellectual developments.

BUT - throwing out the baby with the bathwater - Nominalism also led to a
mechanical view of the world where this world is made up only of material
atomic entities bumping into each other; and to postmodern relativism where
subjective views were all valid, even if contradictory.  So - with Peirce [and
others] we have acknowledged that continuity of type suggests a real force that
is articulated/instantiated in 'tokens' of that force.  That, in my view, is
the nature of realism.

Edwina