Eric, List:

With respect to probability, I am reminded (for obvious reasons) of this
passage.

CSP:  According to what has been said, the idea of probability essentially
belongs to a kind of inference which is repeated indefinitely. An
individual inference must be either true or false, and can show no effect
of probability; and, therefore, in reference to a single case considered in
itself, probability can have no meaning. Yet if a man had to choose between
drawing a card from a pack containing twenty-five red cards and a black
one, or from a pack containing twenty-five black cards and a red one, and
if the drawing of a red card were destined to transport him to eternal
felicity, and that of a black one to consign him to everlasting woe, it
would be folly to deny that he ought to prefer the pack containing the
larger proportion of red cards, although, from the nature of the risk, it
could not be repeated. It is not easy to reconcile this with our analysis
of the conception of chance. But suppose he should choose the red pack, and
should draw the wrong card, what consolation would he have? He might say
that he had acted in accordance with reason, but that would only show that
his reason was absolutely worthless. And if he should choose the right
card, how could he regard it as anything but a happy accident? He could not
say that if he had drawn from the other pack, he might have drawn the wrong
one, because an hypothetical proposition such as, "if A, then B," means
nothing with reference to a single case. Truth consists in the existence of
a real fact corresponding to the true proposition. Corresponding to the
proposition, "if A, then B," there may be the fact that whenever such an
event as A happens such an event as B happens. But in the case supposed,
which has no parallel as far as this man is concerned, there would be no
real fact whose existence could give any truth to the statement that, if he
had drawn from the other pack, he might have drawn a black card. Indeed,
since the validity of an inference consists in the truth of the
hypothetical proposition that if the premisses be true the conclusion will
also be true, and since the only real fact which can correspond to such a
proposition is that whenever the antecedent is true the consequent is so
also, it follows that there can be no sense in reasoning in an isolated
case, at all. (CP 2.652; 1878/1893)

It seems to me that the nominalist who insists that only that which is
actual is real effectively turns *all *of our experience into a series of
"isolated cases" in this sense.

As for your second set of remarks, Peirce was adamant that his version of
pragmatism, which he came to call pragmaticism in order to distinguish it
from that of others (especially William James), required "a logical realism
of the most pronounced type" (CP 6.163; 1892).

CSP:  Another doctrine which is involved in Pragmaticism as an essential
consequence of it ... is the scholastic doctrine of realism. This is
usually defined as the opinion that there are real objects that are
general, among the number being the modes of determination of existent
singulars, if, indeed, these be not the only such objects. But the belief
in this can hardly escape being accompanied by the acknowledgment that
there are, besides, real *vagues*, and especially real possibilities. For
possibility being the denial of a necessity, which is a kind of generality,
is vague like any other contradiction of a general. Indeed, it is the
reality of some possibilities that pragmaticism is most concerned to insist
upon. (CP 5.453; 1905)

However, this is not at all to say that *every *general is real.

CSP:  As to reality, one finds it defined in various ways; but if that
principle of terminological ethics that was proposed be accepted, the
equivocal language will soon disappear. For *realis *and *realitas *are not
ancient words. They were invented to be terms of philosophy in the
thirteenth century, and the meaning they were intended to express is
perfectly clear. That is *real *which has such and such characters, whether
anybody thinks it to have those characters or not. At any rate, that is the
sense in which the pragmaticist uses the word. Now, just as conduct
controlled by ethical reason tends toward fixing certain habits of conduct,
the nature of which (as to illustrate the meaning, peaceable habits and not
quarrelsome habits) does not depend upon any accidental circumstances, and *in
that sense* may be said to be *destined*; so, thought, controlled by a
rational experimental logic, tends to the fixation of certain opinions,
equally destined, the nature of which will be the same in the end, however
the perversity of thought of whole generations may cause the postponement
of the ultimate fixation. If this be so, as every man of us virtually
assumes that it is, in regard to each matter the truth of which he
seriously discusses, then, according to the adopted definition of "real,"
the state of things which will be believed in that ultimate opinion is
real. But, for the most part, such opinions will be general.
Consequently, *some
*general objects are real. (Of course, nobody ever thought that *all *generals
were real; but the scholastics used to assume that generals were real when
they had hardly any, or quite no, experiential evidence to support their
assumption; and their fault lay just there, and not in holding that
generals could be real.) (CP 5.430; 1905)

I have personally found Paul Forster's book, *Peirce and the Threat of
Nominalism*, helpful for sorting out these kinds of issues; but some others
on the List have a less favorable opinion of it.

Regards,

Jon S.