Eric, List:

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 10:14 AM, Eric Charles <eric.phillip.charles@gmail.
com> wrote:

> Jon,
> As I understand you, a nominalist would say that "possibilities" are not
> part of "real" and that "habit/law" is not part of "real".

JAS:  My understanding is that a nominalist would say that "possibilities"
and "habits/laws" are real *only *to the extent that they are instantiated
in *actual *things and events.  Peirce would acknowledge that they *exist *only
to that extent, but that they are *real* in themselves such that we can
meaningfully refer to them as "may-bes" and "would-bes," respectively.
Remember, "real" here means "being what it is regardless of how any person
or finite group of people thinks about it" and "the object of the final
opinion, the consensus of an infinite community after indefinite inquiry."

> Does that mean that if I told a nominalist that if I repeatedly shuffled a
> deck of cards, and then looked at the top card, there was a 1/4 *chance*
> of drawing a heart, they would say I was talking gibberish?

JAS:  Probably not; but once you have finished shuffling the cards, there
is technically no *objective *chance involved at all; at that point, the
top card is in one of the four suits, but you simply do not know which
until you look at it.  Arguably, there is no objective chance even *before *you
shuffle the cards, because the act of shuffling does not make the
arrangement of the cards *genuinely *random.  It is an *epistemic *limitation
that makes it uncertain, rather than an *ontological *limitation.

> What if I told them it is likely organisms will exist in 2 million years
> with traits that do not exist today?
>
> What if I told them that, as a general rule, things that are heavier than
> the surrounding air sink towards the center of the earth when released?
>
> Or that, as a matter of habit, I put my right sock on before my left?
>
> I suspect that the nominalist would not be flustered by such claims,
> though they might caveat them in minor ways.
>
> If I am correct about that, then it is unclear to me what *actual*
> happening we could observe, under the circumstances of some to-be-arranged
> experiment, to distinguish which approach is correct.
>
> P.S. I anticipate you might accuse me of begging the question in that last
> part (by use of the italicized word), but I am inquiring nonetheless, as it
> seems a fair question for a pragmatist to ask.

JAS:  I agree that nominalists will not likely be troubled by these kinds
of questions.  However, they also will not be able to provide explanations
for their common-sense answers, other than something like, "Because that is
just the way that those individual objects (and ones sufficiently similar
to them) happen to behave."  Again, Peirce's primary objection to this
aspect of nominalism is that it tends to block the way of inquiry; if one
does not believe that there are *real *qualities and *real *habits/laws
apart from their actualizations, then why go looking for them?  The
formulation of a "law of nature" as a conditional necessity that governs an
inexhaustible continuum of potential cases--e.g., "if I *were *to scratch *any
*diamond with a knife, then it *would *remain unmarked"--is unwarranted
under nominalism, except as an inexplicable brute fact.