  From: Jon Alan Schmidt
  To: Edwina Taborsky
  Cc: Eric Charles ; Peirce-L
  Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2017 2:57 PM
  Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Nominalism vs. Realism

  Edwina, Eric, List:

  I would not call it a "force," but I agree that the traditional debate is
about whether there is something real (hence "realism") that all rabbits have
in common to make them rabbits vs. "rabbits" merely being a name (hence
"nominalism") that we apply to many different individuals simply because we
happen to perceive them as having certain similarities.  Even this way of
putting it arguably concedes too much to nominalism, because it implies that
the universal or general is a thing that is somehow identically instantiated in
multiple other things.

  One of the aspects of Peirce's version of realism that I find especially
attractive is that he instead conceived of the general as a continuum, such
that its instantiations are not identical, even if they are only
infinitesimally different.  No matter how similar any two actual rabbits may
seem to be, there is an inexhaustible range of potential rabbits that would be
intermediate between them.