Clark, you wrote:

"So you don’t need the idea of laws logically prior to the objects to make
sense of them. Just properties inherent to the objects. (There’d still be an
ontological question about some of these properties like overlap and
interactions of course — but in theory you could argue they inhere to the
objects rather than are independent of them)

Peirce’s solution really is to argue that symmetries are themselves real
independent of the objects."

 I agree that the laws are not really 'logically prior' to the objects for that
would suggest that these laws have some ontological mode of their own even if
it is not material but mental.

 But I don't think that Peirce argued that the laws/symmetries are real,
'independent of the objects' for wouldn't that be similar to 'logically
prior'??. My view is that the laws are real, as general operational forces but
they have no power/reality except as 'articulated' within the objects. [This
may be what you meant anyway].

Edwina