Gary F., List,

My understanding of the architectonic is that, in the mature classificatory
scheme, speculative grammar, critical logic and speculative rhetoric are
classified as three branches of semiotics, which is itself one of the three
branches of normative science. Having said that, semiotic phenomena can be
studied in the special sciences as well--such as linguistics--but the methods
of such sciences are not adequate to articulate what is necessary for signs to
convey meaning and the like. In a number of respects, speculative grammar as a
normative science may provide descriptive classifications of different kinds of
signs, but the classification is based on what is necessary for signs to
perform their essential function as representations that convey meaning to
minds.

What reasons do you have for thinking that speculative grammar--as it is
studied in philosophy--is not a branch of semiotic considered as a normative
science?

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor