Gary F, Jeff, John S, list,

A half hour or so I wrote to Jeff off-list to say regarding his most recent
post: The crucial distinction you've made here between the theoretic and
the idioscopic sciences is, I believe, at the heart of the matter, whatever
the 'normative' concerns may be.

So I'm clearly confused as to what you mean by writing this, Gary:

GF: But I also wonder if you are classifing speculative grammar (which is
part of “logic” *in Peirce’s broad sense*) as “normative” simply because
you’ve subsumed all of semiotics under “logic” in Peirce’s *narrow* sense,
which is indeed normative.

What narrow sense? As Jeff noted, theoretical esthetics, ethics, and the
three branches of logic as semiotic (speculative, or theoretical grammar,
critical logic and speculative, or theoretical rhetoric) are given as
normative by Peirce in his late *Classification of Sciences*. So why are
you suggesting that speculative grammar is n*ot* normative? Or rather, what
is this distinction between "narrow" and "broad" that you're making?
Peirce, it seems to me, sometimes calls the 2nd branch of logic, Critical
Logic, "logic as logic." That would seem to be the narrower sense of logic.
But all three branches are designated "normative" by Peirce.

GF: Concerning your later post, about Peirce’s classificatory schemes of
triadic relations, I think it runs into problems with equivocation on some
of the terms used as class names, such as “organic” and “growth,” which
prevent its being of much use for sorting out the relations among mind,
life and semiosis. I don’t think that can be done without delving into
biology and physics as well as semiotics (as Terrence Deacon and others
have done, and as I have tried to do in my book).

I would be interested as to where in Peirce's classification of the
sciences list members (perhaps for the moment especially Jeff, Gary, and
John) think the "classificatory schemes of triadic relations" (and the
entire argumentation of "The Mathematics of Logic") ought be placed.

Also, in consideration of Gary F's comments relating to biology and
physics, apparently *contra *Jeff's schemata, I think the distinction Jeff
made earlier between coenoscopic and idioscopic science is critical here.
Confusion is sure to follow from conflating the two (as it seems to me Jeff
commented on soundly in the exchange today on the subtle differences of
meaning of "normative" in relation to them).

After quoting the first sentnece of CP 2.227 concluding that Logic as
Semeiotic concerns itself with "what *must be* the characters of all signs
used by a “scientific” intelligence, that is to say, by an intelligence
capable of learning by experience," Gary F wrote (in part):

GF: Now, an *artificial intelligence* is called that largely because
it is *capable
of learning* (modifying its own algorithms) from its interaction with other
entities, rather than passively having its “knowledge” programmed into it.

This seems to me to (1) beg the question in its first part and (2)
represent at most a very mechanical kind of learning which leaves out real
experience in interaction with an environment.

GF: By insisting that an “AI” can only be a “machine” (and thus devoid of
real intelligence), Gary R. is essentially claiming that an utterly
mindless and lifeless entity is nevertheless *capable of learning. *

You'll have to explain to me what you mean by "real intelligence" in this
sentence.

GF: This is what I find implausible, considering the entanglement of
intelligence and learning with mind, semiosis, and intentionality, as well
as *experience* in the Peircean sense above. It goes without saying that
all knowledge is in signs; surely then all *learning* is by means of signs,
as Peirce strongly implies above.

There is, I suppose, most certainly a kind of machine learning involved
here--but, as I wrote earlier, when you, as you have, suggest that
"insight" and "abduction" (and even "life") can be the result of that sort
of learning (which I discussed in an earlier post as, as I see it, the
result of the rich complexity of, for example, the Gobot's vast memory in
relation to rule driven programming), then I think you go too far.

GF: So the question of whether an absolutely mindless and lifeless entity
is capable of learning cuts to the heart of semiotics, in my opinion. Not
to mention our concept of *intelligence*.

In my view, much more needs to be discussed here in consideration of what
machine learning implies as regards "mind" and "life"--that intelligent bot
is yet, in my opinion, if not absolutely mindless in Peirce's sense in
which mind would appear to occur most everywhere, nonetheless it is
"lifeless" even given the somewhat metaphorical notion of "the life of the
symbol" (which, again, requires--as the Peirce quotation I gave a while
back and which Gary F hasn't yet addressed-- *a life form as a vehicle*.

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]

*Gary Richmond*