Gary R., List,

You asked:  "I would be interested as to where in Peirce's classification of
the sciences list members (perhaps for the moment especially Jeff, Gary, and
John) think the "classificatory schemes of triadic relations" (and the entire
argumentation of "The Mathematics of Logic") ought be placed."

The arguments in "The Logic of Mathematics" are remarkably varied and
intertwined. The essay was written before he made a clear division in his
classification of the sciences between phenomenology and the other parts of
philosophy. What is more, it was written before he included aesthetics as one
branch of normative science.

Many of the arguments, I believe, involve mixtures of phenomenological analysis
and logical analysis--with some largely under-stated references to mathematical
conceptions involving the monad, dyad and triad. As such, he is drawing mainly
from common experience and our common sense conceptions for the sake of making
a classification of different kinds of dyadic and triadic relations. As such,
the classificatory system itself belongs in the same place as his other remarks
and classificatory schemes for degenerate and genuine triadic relations.

My hunch is that some of the results properly belong to what is later
classified as phenomenology. The logical analysis of common experience and
sense is preparatory for inquiry in the normative sciences and in metaphysics.
At various points, he draws out some of the conclusions for semiotics and for
metaphysics--moving, for instance, from the experience of what is ordered in
time to conclusions about the real character of time.

Any thoughts about the classificatory system for the laws of fact that I've
tried to draw out of the essay--or about the questions I've tried to frame
about the classification of these laws of fact in relation to thoroughly
genuine triadic relations?

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor