On 6/18/2017 3:50 PM, g...@gnusystems.ca wrote:
few workers in these fields today would consider semiotics, or logic,
or philosophy, to be “empirical sciences” according to current usage, although they are all “positive sciences” for Peirce, so we can’t really substitute the one for the other in discourse.

That's probably true.  An article addressed to Peirce scholars would
contain many quotations by CSP.  In that context, a discussion of his
terminology and its implications is appropriate.

But Peirce hoped to address the world, not a narrow group of scholars.
Search CP for the many occurrences of the word 'generation'.  The word
'positive' suggests 'logical positivism', which died in the mid 20th c.
It's not likely to win friends and influence new generations.

See my article on "Peirce's contributions to the 21st century":
http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/csp21st.pdf

See also Putnam's article on "Peirce the Logician":
http://www.jfsowa.com/peirce/putnam.htm