> On Aug 7, 2017, at 10:21 AM, g...@gnusystems.ca wrote:
>
> Clark,
>
> Kirsti has presented zero evidence that the sign classifications Peirce
> detailed in the 1908 Welby letters are summaries of earlier work rather than
> current work on his part. In fact, if you actually read the material in
> EP2:477-91 you’ll see why the editors described it as “among the richest
> records of the evolution of his semiotic thought” — an evolution that was
> very much in progress as he was writing, as is obvious from his own comments
> on the process. And on p. 482, Peirce makes it very clear that “the accurate
> definition, or logical analysis, of the concepts” of semeiotic was central to
> his inquiry (not to Welby’s; in fact she apparently didn’t know what to make
> of his analysis of signs).

Again just to be clear I’m not taking a position on the “when.” It’s just not
something I’ve studied.

I’d taken that header to the Lady Welby excerpts to imply he was working on it
while writing to her.  However the excerpts, according to the header, come from
a space of time from spring 1906 to Christmas 1908. So that’s a broad period
which is all I was saying. i.e. he may have used the letter writing to clarify
his thoughts, but he appears to have been thinking on the issues for some time.

To your final point, I’m not quite sure what you’re arguing. Certainly to the
degree one is studying semiotics one must have accurate definitions and logical
analysis. The question is whether that is a means to an end or the end itself.
I’d note that the prior paragraph to the one you quote from on p. 482 goes
through the divisions he takes from the medievals: grammar, logic & rhetoric. I
have a post to Gary Richmond where I am dealing with his points and questions
from last week that goes through that in more depth. It’s about half written
but I want to be careful I get things right on it. I’d just say that the prior
paragraph suggests meaning is quite significant. (Forgive the wordplay) It’s
interesting that he quotes in that paragraph from his paper in 1867 as it
relates to the relation of symbols to their objects.

My sense, perhaps mistaken, is that the debate is over which is more important,
the grounds for meaing which Peirce puts first or the formal conditions of
truth. That is, what does “first” mean both in how he views it in 1908 and how
he viewed it in 1867.

Without speaking for anyone else, I’m certainly not devaluing the second
science he discusses. Further I think even relative to meaning it is key. Yet I
think the most important and foundational analysis consists of meaningfulness
itself or the formal conditions of symbols having meaning. It is to conduct
both those analysis though that one must first analyze the concepts. So I agree
that is central, but only as a means to an end.