gnox,

There must have been some misunderstanding of my post, if you could not find what I meant. Which is foud EP 2, 134-135.

Even if CSP states in his Harward Lectures (1903) "I have not succeeded any better than this: Pragmatism is the principle that every theoretical judgement expressible in the indicative mood is a confused form of thought whose only meaning, if it has any, lies in its tendency to enforce a corresponding practical maxim expressible as a conditional sentencehaving its apodosis in the imperative mood. " EP 2, 134-135

Now, this CSP gave in 1903, quite late. So we may certainly claim that he gives a so-called understatement in writing on having not succeeded any better than... And may infer that this formulation had been most critically inspected several times over a long period of his work. - This I take to be a stamp of approval.

The quote above points at "a corresponding practical maxim" (note: "imperative mood").

CSP continues with the Maxim of Pragmatism, as he originally stated it. "Consider what effects .... (etc)

So CSP first presents a later formulation of the principle, which, in relation to the earlier formulation (in the context of this particular lecture) may taken as a second (II). That is a later one. And in this very context the one taken up after it, is to taken as a first (I).

On which grounds? - On the grounds of simplest arithmetics and the very idea of ordinality. I, II, III.

In the Harward Lecture (1903) Peirce leaves this, and goes on with the theory and concept of probability. - Why?

To me the answer seems clear: Because a proper theory of probabality is absolutely needed in order to understand and put into scientific use both of the formulations.

I will come back to other responses in this thread as soon as possible. But, alas, I will be away for at least a couple of days.

This question by gnox seemed the most pressing one.

Also, I wish to think before I respond. Sometimes I give in to the temptation of a quich response.

Best,

Kirsti Määttänen