Mike, list

        Nice post - I'll just comment briefly before specifically commenting
on Gary R's post.

        I'm not in the camp of 'signs and semiosis' vs the three categories.
I don't see how the one can function without the other. I self-define
my perspective as a focus on morphology - on how energy, so to speak,
transforms into matter or how the unformed becomes the formed. This
matter can be within the physical-chemical realm, the biological, the
conceptual, the societal. I'm NOT focused on re-presentation, which
is, in my view, a purely cerebral focus on words; or words to images.
I'm focused on morphology, and view this transformation as taking
place within the semiosic triad and the three categories.

        So, a plethora of cells is transformed from one morphological
primitive form into a more complex form via the habit formations
[Thirdness]...But Thirdness is complex with three types [3-3, 3-2,
3-1] and this enables information exchange with the environment [via
3-2] rather than simple repetition of type [3-1]. So, Firstness is
involved to enable adaptation, and Secondness is involved to enable
direct contact with the local environmental realities. The result -
is an adapted insect.

        Edwina
 On Mon 09/04/18 10:34 PM , Mike Bergman m...@mkbergman.com sent:
        Hi Gary R, List,

        I thought this exchange was very worthwhile, esp. your current
  response. I have read your points multiple times and tried to think
       clearly about what you said. I find that I am in 'general
  agreement' with all that you have written in this response. As a
    result, I changed the subject line from 'Re: Order of
Determination' to reflect my view. We have found at least one
overlap in the Venn diagram.
        What I especially like is your basing your points on the
universal categories. Thirdness is the mode of habit, mediation,
   generality, continuity. Genuine Thirdness must, as Peirce says
   and you quote, be a medium "between a Second and its First." In
    the sense I frequently use it, namely categorization of things
    for knowledge representation, this is the same as saying we find
      general types (Thirdness) of particulars (Secondness) by looking
        at their essences and shared qualities (Firstness). I frankly
do         not see why we need to use language such as
"quasi-necessarily"         as Edwina poses. I can not see where
habit or any of the other         senses of Thirdness may occur
without Secondness and Firstness.

        I also like your pointing to the use of prescission to look
at these questions. One observation I would make is that there
 is a community of Peirce researchers who see their investigations
    primarily through the lens of signs and semiosis. I believe
 Edwina would place herself in this group. That is well and good
  and in the sense of sign use and making and representation may
  indeed be the best perspective. But, for me, I see the universal
    categories as the governing primitives. (I believe Peirce did as
      well.) For example, in the pure sense of the phaneron, the
  reality of Firstness, I presently believe, is outside of the
process of semiosis. Once we try to signify Firstness, a reification
      of sorts, we make it actual, which places it as a monadic idea
      in Secondness. (Not dissimilar from quantum effects.) We can
    talk about it and describe it, but it remains removed from the
    essence of Firstness. One can take these viewpoints based on
Peirce's         own statements about the categories and prescission.
(CP 1.353)         I guess put another way, for me, the universal
categories are         the adjudicators in how I try to think about
Peirce, not         semiosis, which is a process of representation.
However, of         course, from the vantage of representation,
semiosis naturally         holds sway.

        Thanks for trying to find common ground. From my perspective,
 you did an admirable job.