}Stephen, Gary R, list
        Since the Universe is an evolving articulation of Mind-as-Matter,
then, I would suggest that the likelihood of intelligent, or
conscious, life elsewhere has to be about 100%.

        Edwina
 On Wed 16/05/18  5:43 PM , Gary Richmond gary.richm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Stephen R, list,
 Stephen wrote: "The discussion that has touched Peirce's
"anthropomorphism" is interesting in light of Ray Kurzweil's noting
the unlikelihood of other human-type life in the universe"
 But here's an interesting stat: "There are about 10 billion galaxies
in the observable universe! The number of stars in a galaxy varies,
but assuming an average of 100 billion stars per galaxy means that
there are about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (that's 1 billion
trillion) stars in the observable universe!"
https://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=3775 [1]
 And as the author notes, that is only "in the observable universe"
because "We can only observe parts of the universe that are within
13.7 billion light-years of Earth."
 I would say rather that it's unlikely that Kurzweil is right about
this. Indeed, Carl Sagan presents an entirely different picture
involving not just ανθρώπου
  but technological civilizations.
 " As Carl Sagan explained the Drake equation in his series "Cosmos,"
the number of technological civilizations should literally number in
the millions (in our galaxy alone).
"http://bigthink.com/dr-kakus-universe/is-there-intelligent-life-in-the-universe
[2]
 So, at very least, the jury is still out on this question.
 Best,
 Gary
 Gary RichmondPhilosophy and Critical ThinkingCommunication
StudiesLaGuardia College of the City University of New York 718
482-5690
 The discussion that has touched Peirce's "anthropomorphism" is
interesting in light of Ray Kurzweil's noting the unlikelihood of
other human-type life in the universe.  https://youtu.be/cBVUdEQXvmc
[4]
amazon.com/author/stephenrose [5]
PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at
http://www.cspeirce.com/ [8]peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .

Links:
------
[1] https://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=3775