A wonderful illumination of an unknown (to me) nook. I thought of O.R. when I was writing but did not have the knowledge whereof I spoke. But I am going to peruse further the excellent beginning and so forth. He joins my small pantheon of great unknowns. Whoever wrote the Stanford piece must join the group also Thank you. S
amazon.com/author/stephenrose On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 10:09 AM, John F Sowa <[email protected]> wrote: > On 5/17/2018 9:04 AM, Stephen C. Rose wrote: > >> My point is simply that reality has all sorts of permutations and that to >> disclude things is to complexify. >> > > I agree. And I recommend the anti-razor by Walter Chatton, who engaged > in years of debates with William of Ockham. Both Chatton and Ockham > were students of John Duns Scotus. Ockham was a nominalist who rejected > the realism of Scotus. But Chatton was a realist who defended Scotus > in debates with Ockham. (All three of them were Scots at Oxford.) > > See https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/walter-chatton/ > > Brief summary of the anti-razor: > If a proposition p is true and its truth depends on the existence > of something x, then the existence of x must be assumed. > > But Chatton stated his anti-razor in several different versions, > all of which imply my summary. > > John > > > > > > ----------------------------- > PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON > PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to > [email protected] . To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L > but to [email protected] with the line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the > BODY of the message. More at http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm > . > > > > > >
----------------------------- PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .
