Jon, list,

JAS: I was expecting some pushback on differentiating a *general *Dynamic
Object from an *individual *one, especially since I am not yet entirely
convinced of it myself.

I think differentiating a general from an individual DO is quite intriguing
although I'm far from convinced of this presumptive differentiation. You'd
offered this notion in an earlier post. . .

JAS: I am also starting to wonder if we should likewise differentiate (a)
the Dynamic Object that *permanently *relates to the Sign (Type) and Final
Interpretant from (b) the Dynamic Object that relates to the Sign-Replica
(Token) and Dynamic Interpretant in an *individual *Instance of the Sign.

. . . then offered "our recurring examples of a weathercock and ripples on
a lake," the former as the general OD "that permanently relates to the Sign
(Type)" and IF, and the latter "that relates to the Sign-Replica (Token)"
and ID in a single instance of the sign.

JAS: For our recurring examples of a weathercock and ripples on a lake,
perhaps (a) is the direction of the wind *in general*, in accordance with
the laws of nature (i.e., inveterate habits of matter) that govern their
behavior at *any *place and time; while (b) is the direction of the wind *here
and now*, which someone *actually *interprets them to be indicating.

Yet (a) above (an OD which "permanently" relates to the Sign type), seems
to me problematic in that. when the weather vane is functioning in
accordance with its purpose, that it concerns the direction of the wind *here
and now*, and some *actual interpreter* of it. But I'm still reflecting on
this notion (perhaps recalling the examples of these two different sign
classes in the 1904 Classification of Signs: Sign II, "An individual
diagram" and Sign V, "A diagram, apart from its factual individuality." (Of
course I'm not suggesting a direct parallel here, but that some additional
"minute" analysis may be in order.)

You continued:

JAS: However, I am rather startled by your suggestion that Peirce was
*completely
wrong* about the Sign (Type), (Dynamic) Object, and (Final) Interpretant
being the three correlates of a *genuine *triadic relation.  Perhaps I have
simply misunderstood your difficulty, but I will attempt to address it
anyway.

I am much more comfortable with this formulation now. Perhaps my 'problem'
was that the IF (and its correlates) is *so very abstract* in my thinking
that it's hard for me to imagine what the complete development of the
meaning of a OD could possibly be. Take this snippet:

The Final Interpretant does not consist in the way in which any mind does
act but in the way in which every mind would act. CP 8.315, 1909.

This seems to me to indicate a 'would-be'
 very different
from
 all others I can imagine. Be that as it may, after quoting me. . .

GR:  ... in human semiosis, the OD can't really be known in its fullness
... I continue to see the OD as that which *would *be known at the
impossible (since asymptotic) conclusion of an "unlimited" inquiry.

. . .you continued:

JAS: I completely agree, because *concrete* semiosis only *actually *occurs
by means of *individual *Instances of Signs--i.e., *individual *Replicas
(Tokens), each of which (I am positing) is in a *degenerate *triadic
relation with an *individual *Dynamic Object and an *individual *Dynamic
Interpretant.  As a result, the state of our knowledge is always that of
*Experiential *Information; but knowing the Dynamic Object "in its
fullness" would correspond to the *ideal *state of *Substantial *Information,
and thus its *genuine *triadic relation to the Sign (Type) and Final
Interpretant.

I'm beginning to see your point in emphasizing an *individual *OD and and
*individual* ID here and am tending to strongly agree with you. But, again,
I have trouble conceiving of "the ideal state of Substantial Information"
which the the OD would represent in that putative absolutely final genuine
triadic relation.

We may also be in agreement that the OD is itself *not* a Sign for, as you
wrote:

GR: I continue to see the OD as that which *would *be known at the
impossible (since asymptotic) conclusion of an "unlimited" inquiry.

JAS: I completely agree, because *concrete* semiosis only *actually *occurs
by means of *individual *Instances of Signs. . .  As a result, the state of
our knowledge is always that of *Experiential *Information; but knowing the
Dynamic Object "in its fullness" would correspond to the *ideal *state of
*Substantial *Information, and thus its *genuine *triadic relation to the
Sign (Type) and Final Interpretant.

But later you write: "In any case, I would say that *some Dynamic Objects
are Signs (Types) or Sign-Replicas (Tokens)*, but not necessarily
*all*"  (emphasis
added). It seems to me that if I interpret you correctly that you are
contradicting your earlier comment.  Still, you had written:

JAS: Sometimes the following passage is interpreted ][to mean that the OD
is itself a Sign
.

CSP:  Every sign stands for an object independent of itself; but it can
only be a sign of that object in so far as that object is itself of the
nature of a sign or thought. For the sign does not affect the object but is
affected by it; so that the object must be able to convey thought, that is,
must be of the nature of thought or of a sign. (CP 1.538; 1903)

And commented:

JAS: However, I believe instead that the key words here are "in so far as,"
such that Peirce was hinting at either (a) the Dynamic/Immediate Object
distinction, which he started explicitly acknowledging less than a year
later; or (b) the general/individual Dynamic Object distinction that I am
now suggesting, since "the nature of a sign or thought" is precisely to be
general (3ns) rather than individual (2ns).  In any case, I would say that
*some *Dynamic Objects are Signs (Types) or Sign-Replicas (Tokens), but not
necessarily *all*.

I too think that "the key words here are 'in so far as'," but believe that,
since the nature of sign is to be general, and since the OI must represent
*something* of the perhaps near infinite characters and indexical features
(so to speak) of the OD, that it is in *this* way that the OD will be "itself
of the nature of a sign or thought." So, again, I would tend to disagree
with you  "that *some *Dynamic Objects are Signs (Types) or Sign-Replicas
(Tokens)." You quote me and then wrote:

GR:  I don't, in other words, see [the Dynamic Object] in its fullness
entering into any given instance of semiosis.

JAS: It depends on what you mean here by "entering into."  The Dynamic
Object (in its fullness) determines the Sign (Type) to determine the Final
Interpretant in accordance with what *would *be the *infallible *Interpretative
Habits of an *infinite *Quasi-mind; this (DO-S-FI) is a *genuine *triadic
relation.

I would tend to agree with you re: (OD-S-IF). You continued.

JAS: It (do you mean by 'it' the OD as it is typically considered, or the
OD "in its fullness"? GR) *governs *individual Instances of that Sign, in
which the Dynamic Object (in certain respects) determines the Sign-Replica
(Token) to determine the Dynamic Interpretant in accordance with the
*fallible *Interpretative Habits of a *finite* Quasi-mind, as developed
through previous Collateral Experience; this (DO-SR-DI) is a
*degenerate *triadic
relation.  It *involves *particular characters, which the Immediate Object
determines as the Sign-Qualities (Tones or Marks) that determine the
Immediate Interpretant in accordance with a particular Sign System; this
(IO-SQ-II) is a *doubly degenerate* triadic relation.

The key words for me here are "in certain respects" and "involves
particular characters" such that "the Immediate Object determines as the
Sign-Qualities (Tones or Marks) that determine the Immediate Interpretant
in accordance with a particular Sign System." Yet none of this suggests to
me that in human semiosis that the OD is itself a Sign. So, yes:

JAS: . . .discerning its implications for the DO/IO distinction requires
further contemplation.  I also still need to work out whether and how it
harmonizes with the *different *sense in which "the Dynamoid [Dynamic]
Object determines the Immediate Object, which determines the Sign itself,
which determines the Destinate [Final] Interpretant, which determines the
Effective [Dynamic] Interpretant, which determines the Explicit [Immediate]
Interpretant" (EP 2:481; 1908).  According to Peirce, this is the
sequential arrangement of the corresponding trichotomies for Sign
*classification* in accordance with the principle that "a Possible can
determine nothing but a Possible" and "a Necessitant can be determined by
nothing but a Necessitant" (ibid).

For now I'm still mainly concerned with how the OD determines the OI in
accordance with Peirce's non-causal definition of "determines." The better
I understand that part of the 'equation' the more I should be able to
follow your, for me, very interesting and quite valuable inquiry. Of course
I wish--as I know you do--that others on the list would offer feedback and
well-considered criticism.

Best,

Gary

*Gary Richmond*