Jon, List,

JAS: I am going to continue making the case for distinguishing the
*General* Object,
which is in a *genuine* triadic relation with the Sign (Type) and the Final
Interpretant, from the *Dynamic* Object, which is in a *degenerate* triadic
relation with the Sign-Replica (Token) and the Dynamic Interpretant.  It
turns out that Peirce referred explicitly to the notion of a "general
object" on a few occasions.

_

It seems to me that the several Peirce quotes you've provided, where he
explicitly refers to a "general object," and your summing up of the
implications of each of these--and all taken together--bolsters your case
for distinguishing the General Object from the Dynamic Object. The very
first quotation strongly supports the notion not only of there being
dynamic objects, but also general objects such as "the laws of nature,"
and, furtherl, explicitly connects the idea of the general object to
pragmaticism and Peirce's "extreme realism" ("what is conditionally true *in
futuro*"):

CSP:  And do not overlook the fact that the pragmaticist maxim says nothing
of single experiments or of single experimental phenomena (for what is
conditionally true *in futuro* can hardly be singular), but only
speaks of *general
kinds* of experimental phenomena. Its adherent does not shrink from
speaking of *general objects* as real, since whatever is true represents a
real. Now the laws of nature are true. (CP 5.426, EP 2:340; 1905, bold
added)

And so, while I originally somewhat resisted it, in the context of this and
several other Peirce quotes you've provided, I'm coming more and more to
see why you suggest that our examples of *ripples on a lake* or *a weather
vane *are Sign-Replicas whose Sign-Types have General Objects which are the
laws of nature underlying the Tokens of wind direction experienced *hic et
nunc*, and whenever that *here and now *occurs. As you wrote:

JAS: This seems consistent with my previous suggestion that a set of
ripples on a lake or a weathercock is properly understood as a Sign-Replica
(Token) whose *Dynamic* Object is the wind direction *here and now*; while
the corresponding Sign (Type) has as its *General* Object the laws of
nature that enable it to indicate the wind direction *at any place and time*
.

But, should we speak of a General Object (singular) or General Objects
(plural)? There are surely several laws of nature at work in the exemplary
wind-direction cases, but certainly not all, possibly only a relatively
few. In other words, referring to "the laws of nature" as *a* General
Object at the moment seems to me perhaps to generalize OG too far. Of
course later you differentiate between the General Object (which is a
universe) and the Dynamic Object (which is "the individual collection of [a
universe's] members," as well as to Peirce's referring to "the Universal
Universe or aggregate of all Singulars." So it is possible that my question
is already answered *should* I be able to put these various threads
together in my thinking. But since I'm not quite there yet, any help you
could provide would be appreciated.

Regarding the Peirce quotation concluding "then, according to the adopted
definition of "real," the state of things which will be believed in that
ultimate opinion is real. But, *for the most part*, such opinions will be
general. Consequently, *some* *general objects* are real" (italics added),
I'd ask: What would you imagine that the *non-general Objects* at the end
of infinite inquiry by an infinite community might be?

Continuing, you quoted Peirce (just the snippet of that quote here):

CSP:  . . .  One of these ["complications of only two elements"] is the
relation of a distributively *general object*, "any" something, to the
single individual collection which embraces "any" such, and nothing else. .
.

and commented on an idea in a quotation referred to earlier "that as a
general rule a proposition refers to several Universes of Discourse, the
chief of which are Singulars, and that all propositions whatsoever refer to
one common universe,--the Universal Universe or aggregate of all Singulars,
which in ordinary language we denominate the Truth" that JAS: " . . . any
Replica (Token) of a Sign (Type) can only refer to some *portion* of this
"Universal Universe."  You concluded this analysis referring to your last
two Peirce quotes (not copied here), with a remark on "the "denoted
"fragment" or "lesser environment … which is not general" [and] is the
*Dynamic* Object [that] *quantification* is the means by which a
proposition distinguishes it from the *General *Object" (boldface added).

This last comment seems to me also to relate to some of your argumentation
in another thread in response to a post by Francesco Bellucci.

So, in sum, I would say that your suggestion/hypothesis is beginning to
make better sense to me, although I should note that sometimes I feel that
I'm reading a logical analysis, sometimes a metaphysical one. But then
again Peirce wrote that "*Logic*, [. . .] studies the world of thought,
[while] *Metaphysics [...] *studies the world of being; and the latter must
rest upon the principles of the former" (1895). (In the 20th century he
will expand this dependence a bit and say that Metaphysics ought rest on
Phenomenology (which itself rests on Mathematics) and the Normative
Sciences, of course including Logic.)

I should somewhat parenthetically note that at a recent monthly meeting of
a few Peirceans in NYC, all but one of which is on this list, and all
possessing sharp intellects, I wasn't able to get across even the idea that
"a Sign is not a real thing." So, as they say, perhaps "you've got your
work cut out for you" in making the case for the General Object and its
significance.

Best,

Gary

*Gary Richmond*