On 3/9/2019 3:24 PM, Gary Richmond wrote:
After all, Peirce sometimes suggests that the quasi-equivalent to pragmatism in 'ordinary' speech and thinking is critical-common sense. And, indeed, pragmaticism itself would seem to depend on it.
I agree. Homo saps and their ancestors have existed for millions of years. So they must have been doing something right.
Peirce remarks that 'a "scientific" intelligence' is "an intelligence capable of learning by experience" (CP 2.227, 1897). So, it would appear that possessing a scientific intelligence is, for Peirce, not an extraordinary thing.
Yes. Although Peirce did not mention dogs and parrots in connection with scientific intelligence, he mentioned anecdotes about them that would imply a kind of scientific intelligence. His definition does not exclude them, and his principle of continuity would include them. And by the way, I'm writing a longer note in this thread, which I'll send shortly. John
----------------------------- PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .
