Jon, List,

Jon, I tend to be in more agreement than disagreement with what you've
written here although, as is often the case, I have some questions I'd like
to pose to you. However, our general approach would seem to be somewhat
different as I have a sense that at least some of our religious views and
practices are.

Unfortunately, I have finally run out of time as I am leaving for Italy
early tomorrow and today have spent perhaps an exorbitant amount of time in
my response to Gene and Mary. In fact, I still have some packing to do
before I fly out tomorrow. But I will try to respond to your stimulating
post if I can get good Internet access abroad and can function happily
(enough) on the tablet we're taking with us. But, hopefully, more sooner
than later.

Best,

Gary


*Gary Richmond*
*Philosophy and Critical Thinking*
*Communication Studies*
*LaGuardia College of the City University of New York*




On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 10:40 PM Jon Alan Schmidt <[email protected]>
wrote:

>  Gary R., List:
>
> GR:  However, you also quoted Peirce to the effect that God is creating
> this Universe continuously, that the world was not created on some
> particularly busy day several thousands of years ago, as Genesis (and,
> mutatis mutandis, the Whiteboard metaphor) would have it, but is happening
> now and will be happening until the World's end.
>
>
> I believe that remark by Peirce was mainly intended to *broaden *the
> notion of "creation" *beyond *its usual reference to a one-time event in
> the distant past, whether understood as having happened "during a certain
> busy week, in the year 4004 B.C." (CP 1.615, EP 2:255; 1903), or billions
> of years ago as the singularity that is popularly known as "the Big Bang."
> After all, in the same passage he equated "the creation of the universe"
> with "this very development of Reason," which "consists, you will observe,
> in embodiment, that is, in manifestation" such that it "is going on today
> and never will be done" (*ibid*).  In other words, he was emphasizing the 
> *continuity
> *of creation as a *process*.
>
> With that in mind, I see no incompatibility with the blackboard
> illustration--which, it is important to note, Peirce *did not*
> characterize as a *metaphor*.  On the contrary, he explicitly referred to
> "the clean blackboard" as "a sort of diagram," and stated that "the clue to
> which I trust to guide us through the maze ... consists in making our
> thought diagrammatic and mathematical, by treating generality from the
> point of view of geometrical continuity, and by experimenting upon the
> diagram" (CP 6.203-204; 1898).  I am pointing this out because of how he
> elsewhere distinguished between the different kinds of *hypoicons*.
>
> CSP:  Hypoicons may roughly [be] divided according to the mode of
> Firstness which they partake. Those which partake the simple qualities, or
> First Firstnesses, are *images*; those which represent the relations,
> mainly dyadic, or so regarded, of the parts of one thing by analogous
> relations in their own parts, are *diagrams*; those which represent the
> representative character of a representamen by representing a parallelism
> in something else, are *metaphors*. (EP 2:274; 1903)
>
>
> What makes a Sign a diagram is that it embodies the *relations *among the 
> *parts
> *of its Object.  Peirce was thus primarily calling attention to the *relations
> *among the "ur-continuity" (3ns), various "Platonic worlds" (1ns), and
> our "actual universe of existence" (2ns) by representing them respectively
> as a clean blackboard, melded groups of white marks on it (my
> "whiteboards"), and a discontinuous mark on one of those.  I have taken the
> additional step of observing that marks do not simply *appear *on
> blackboards as somehow self-generating--instead, *someone has to draw
> them*; and based on that *relation*, I understand that person to
> represent God.  As such, there is nothing stopping Him from *continuing *to
> draw *additional *white marks on the blackboard (new possibilities) and 
> *additional
> *discontinuous marks on the whiteboard (new existents).
>
> GR:  It seems to me that in consideration of the ur-Continuity of the
> Blackboard from which God selected those Platonic characters ('Platonic' is
> Peirce's word in this context) which would be inscribed on 'our'
> Whiteboard, that that Person is, if I understand you correctly, the
> semeiotic Object of this Universe, the Creator of the vast evolving Symbol
> which is *this* Cosmos, our Universe.
>
>
> Indeed, what I just outlined corresponds to Peirce's description of "a 
> *perfect
> *sign" as "perpetually being acted upon by its object, from which it is
> perpetually receiving the accretions of new signs, which bring it fresh
> energy, and also kindle energy that it already had, but which had lain
> dormant"; and also never ceasing "to undergo changes of the kind we rather
> drolly call spontaneous, that is, they happen *sua sponte* but not by *its
> *will" (EP 2:545n25; 1906).  If these changes do not occur by a perfect
> Sign's *own *will--whatever that might mean--then *whose *will brings
> them about?  In my view, spontaneity in this sense is not *randomness*,
> but (divine) *freedom*.  "Thus, when I speak of chance, I only employ a
> mathematical term to express with accuracy the characteristics of freedom
> or spontaneity" (CP 6.201; 1898).
>
> GR:  But, in consideration of the continuous creation occurring *now*, it
> seems to me that if God the Father is not immanent in this Universe then
> that continuous creation must be the ongoing work of *He who is God with
> the Father *but who is not the Father, that is, Christ.
>
>
> Again, note the *relations *that Peirce's diagram embodies.  Surely we
> can agree that the person who draws the chalk marks is *not *immanent in
> the blackboard, let alone in the marks themselves; he is *entirely
> outside *them, yet still able to *act upon *them.  Likewise, I see no
> reason why it would be necessary for God to be immanent in the Universe in
> order to be its continuous Creator.  I suppose that we could speculate on
> whether and where Christ *might *fit into this picture.  Is He the man
> drawing the marks on behalf of the Father?  The hand that holds the chalk?
> The piece of chalk itself?  The blackboard as the *Logos *(John 1) in
> Whom "all things hold together" (Colossians 1:17)?  Obviously none of these
> are fully compatible with the *traditional *doctrine of the Trinity--for
> one thing, where is the Holy Spirit?--but the last one might loosely fit
> the concept of "the Cosmic Christ."
>
> GR:  Of course, Peirce was generally opposed to theology (although not to
> religious metaphysics, the distinction not yet clear to me); and, indeed,
> religious experience doesn't require theology.
>
>
> It seems more accurate to say that Peirce was generally opposed to
> *theologians*, because he did not consider them to be practicing a
> genuine *science*.  Instead, he viewed them as relying primarily on the
> methods of tenacity and authority to enforce allegedly infallible dogmas,
> as reflected in his assertion that "the principal business of theologians
> is to make men feel the enormity of the slightest departure from the
> metaphysics they assume to be connected with the standard faith" (CP 6.3;
> 1898).  He also had misgivings about religious *institutions*, since "the
> Church requires subscription to a platform--a Creed. And how has that
> platform been made? With strict party regularity, no doubt" (CP 6.450; c.
> 1895).  Of course, I do not share his negative opinions about such things.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jon Alan Schmidt - Olathe, Kansas, USA
> Professional Engineer, Amateur Philosopher, Lutheran Layman
> www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt - twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt
>
> On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 2:55 PM Gary Richmond <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Jon, List,
>>
>> In an earlier message in this thread I suggested that in order to avoid
>> confusion, when speaking of *trinity *without explicit religious
>> underpinnings that we type the 't' lowercase, but that we capitalize it
>> when referring to *the Trinity* of theology. In my message below,
>> Trinity is almost always capitalized since it means to relate to Peirce's
>> religious metaphysics in conjunction with his cosmological views, not
>> entirely separate as I see it. In any case, those who are adverse to
>> theology might consider skipping reading this post.
>>
>> I'm going to be traveling abroad with perhaps limited Internet access
>> beginning this weekend through the 12th of June, but before I left, I did
>> want to ask a question that came to mind again regarding Peirce's religious
>> metaphysics (his cosmological theology, if I may so phrase it). I hinted at
>> it earlier, but now would like to deepen the question.
>>
>> It seems to me that, on the one hand, Peirce suggested, and you have
>> argued in your Signs paper, Jon (as suggested by the Blackboard metaphor in
>> the last of the 1898 lectures) that 'before' this Universe came into being,
>> 'before' there was anything Existent (so 'before' Time, 'before' the
>> so-called Big Bang), that God, from *all* the Platonic possibilities,
>> that is, from all imaginable and unimaginable essential Platonic forms
>> which might possibly be involved in the creation of *some* Universe (the
>> Blackboard metaphor, if I finally have it right), that on a kind of subset
>> of that Blackboard of ur-continuity--so upon a kind of Whiteboard--He
>> scribed those potential qualities and characters which *would* factor in
>> the creation of this Universe. (Btw, as I understand Peirce, this is not
>> the only possible universe the Scriber might create, and Peirce hints at a
>> kind of multiverse theory, one which seems to me quite different from most
>> modern versions of such theories.)
>>
>> However, you also quoted Peirce to the effect that God is
>> creating this Universe continuously, that the world was *not* created on
>> some particularly busy day several thousands of years ago, as Genesis (and,
>> mutatis mutandis, the Whiteboard metaphor) would have it, but is happening
>> now and will be happening until the World's end.
>>
>> It seems to me that in consideration of the ur-Continuity of the
>> Blackboard from which God selected those Platonic characters ('Platonic' is
>> Peirce's word in this context) which would be inscribed on 'our'
>> Whiteboard, that that Person is, if I understand you correctly, the
>> semeiotic Object of this Universe, the Creator of the vast evolving Symbol
>> which is *this* Cosmos, our Universe.
>>
>> But, in consideration of the continuous creation occurring *now*, it
>> seems to me that if God the Father is not immanent in this Universe then
>> that continuous creation must be the ongoing work of *He who is God with
>> the Father *but who is not the Father, that is, Christ. And this is one
>> of the reasons that I introduced this thread on trinity (there are, of
>> course, others).
>>
>> [Note: I have already pointed to some thinkers having a trinitarian view
>> of the cosmos which is not specifically Christian or even, for that matter,
>> necessarily religious (although, personally, I don't see how a trinitarian
>> view of the cosmos wouldn't lead to a Trinitarian and, so, religious one,
>> while the religion need not be Christianity according to some advocates of
>> trinitarian thinking).]
>>
>> For now this problematic of *both* an *ur-creation* leading to the
>> putative 'Big Bang' *and* an ongoing *continuous creation* is resolved
>> in my mind in imagining that while the First Person of the Trinity (God the
>> Father) is not immanent in the Universe, is *not* Himself actively and
>> continuously creating it, that the Second Person *is* (whom some,
>> notably Matthew Fox and Richard Rohr, have referred to as the Cosmic
>> Christ), and that this is the consequence of the communication between the
>> First and Second Persons via the Third, viz., the Holy Spirit. I understand
>> this to be expression of the (evolutionary) Love of all three Persons of
>> the Trinity for God's creation and for humankind, Man having been made in
>> His image.
>>
>> It seems to me that Peirce analyses this trichotomically (i.e.,
>> tri-categorially) *and* semiotically. However, I'm now suggesting that
>> his pure categorial analysis speaks to the ur-creation (where there are 'as
>> yet' no signs as such) while the semeiotic analysis concerns itself
>> specifically with the on-going creation. In this regard, it also comes to
>> mind, perhaps not completely irrelevantly, that in Peirce's Classification
>> of Sciences that Phenomenology (yielding the three Universal Categories)
>> precedes Logic as Semeiotic, and that Pure Mathematics precedes them both.
>>
>> Now you've already noted that this way of thinking--that is, imagining
>> God, as the Second Person of the Trinity, that is Christ, immanent in and
>> continuing God, as the First Person, the Father's creation, and in
>> communion with Him through the Holy Spirit--is something you really haven't
>> (or, really, even want to) entertain given your conservative Christian
>> views. But I do not see how God can be both completely 'apart' from His
>> Creation and yet also 'continuously creating' it. So, again, for me seeing
>> God as Three-in-One and distinguishing the 'roles' (so to speak) of the
>> three Persons provides something of an answer to the question I've posed.
>>
>> I was introduced to the notion of the Cosmic Christ decades ago while
>> reading Meister Eckhart's writings and sermons which led me to Fox's work,
>> especially, *The Coming of the Cosmic Christ*. I 'rediscovered' the
>> concept and had it reinforced in the past few years through Rohr's ongoing
>> work. I hope it's clear that I see it as an uniquely powerful idea,
>> especially within the context of Peirce cosmological musings. Peirce, as I
>> understand him, was not a conservative Christian. It seems to me, then,
>> that his positing Three Universal Categories and Three Universes of
>> Experience might have made the idea of God the Creator of this Universe
>> offering to it His Son, the Cosmic Christ at work today, plausible to him.
>> It also helps reconcile, at least for me, his proto-cosmic thinking in the
>> 1898 Cambridge House lectures with the several semeiotic analyses you've
>> been considering and from which you've been extensively quoting, and helps
>> answer the question of how God can be both apart from His creation and yet
>> continually creating it.
>>
>> Of course, Peirce was generally opposed to theology (although not to
>> religious metaphysics, the distinction not yet clear to me);  and, indeed,
>> religious experience doesn't require theology.
>>
>> As I noted in an early post in this thread, despite what I just wrote as
>> a Christian, I do not myself see the trinity idea as limited to Christian
>> theology and, in fact, imagine that it might prove valuable in helping
>> bridge the divide between religion and science, Peirce's desideratum. I
>> hope to take up that more general view of trinity in future posts.
>>
>> For now I'd be interested in what thoughts you might have on this view of
>> the Trinity.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Gary R
>>
>> *Gary Richmond*
>> *Philosophy and Critical Thinking*
>> *Communication Studies*
>> *LaGuardia College of the City University of New York*
>>
>>>
-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to