Cf : Semiotics, Semiosis, Sign Relations : 7
At :
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2019/11/07/semiotics-semiosis-sign-relations-%e2%80%a2-7/

Re: Semiotics, Semiosis, Sign Relations : 5
At:
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2019/10/26/semiotics-semiosis-sign-relations-%e2%80%a2-5/

Re: It's a common mistake to confound infinite with unbounded.
    A process can continue without end and still be "bounded
    in a nutshell".  So a sign process can pass from sign to
    interpretant sign to next interpretant sign ad infinitum
    without ever leaving a finite set of signs.

The number of questions I got about that statement tells me I should
have delineated the context in which it was set a little more fully.

A "sign process" in this context is simply a sequence of signs, of the
sort we might observe in communicational, computational, or experimental
settings.  For people who remember the more ancient arts of AI, cognitive
science, and cybernetics, it may help to recall the orders of considerations
arising in protocol analysis.

It goes with this territory to assume the formal equivalent of "categorical
perception".  This means we can set aside the subtleties of token haecceity --
the fact each instance of a sign is distinct from every other instance --
along with the possibility of signs being sampled from a continuous medium.

In this setting we are left with two interpretations for "infinite and bounded",
depending on whether the sign domain has a quantitative measure defined on it,
or not.  In the first case, "bounded" means the sequence never exceeds a finite
bound in the relevant measure.  In the second case, "bounded" means the sequence
never leaves a finite set.

Regards,

Jon

Cf: Semiotics, Semiosis, Sign Relations : 5
At:
https://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2019/10/26/semiotics-semiosis-sign-relations-%e2%80%a2-5/

Re: Recursion Again
At: https://richardcoyne.com/2019/10/26/recursion-again/

A recurring correction of a recurring mistake:

It's a common mistake to confound infinite with unbounded.
A process can continue without end and still be "bounded
in a nutshell".  So a sign process can pass from sign to
interpretant sign to next interpretant sign ad infinitum
without ever leaving a finite set of signs.

So let that be the end of that.

Regards,

Jon