}Jon, list

        I like your comment:

         " But the real issue is not about
  the cardinality or topology of any sub-posed continuum,
"signiferous ether",
  or semiotic medium so much as the empirical data streams we
actually have,
  which are captured categorically and coded discretely as sequences
of signs. "

        Exactly. After all [unless you are an essentialist], then there is
no such thing as a separate or even topologically discrete
'signiferous ether', for the mediation process - which is not the
same as the particular -  is an integral component of the empirical
data streams of 'sequences of signs'.

        Edwina
 On Sat 09/11/19  1:02 PM , Jon Awbrey jawb...@att.net sent:
 Cf: Semiotics, Semiosis, Sign Relations : 8
 At:
http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2019/11/09/semiotics-semiosis-sign-relations-%e2%80%a2-8/
 Continuing questions about "infinite semiosis" vs. "unbounded
semiosis"
 prompt me to make another comment by way of bringing our focus to
bear
 on the empirical context of semiosis and sign relations.
 The semiotic question goes back to a line from Peirce and the uses
later
 writers like Eco and Derrida made of it.  But the real issue is not
about
 the cardinality or topology of any sub-posed continuum, "signiferous
ether",
 or semiotic medium so much as the empirical data streams we actually
have,
 which are captured categorically and coded discretely as sequences
of signs.
 Regards,
 Jon