Robert, Edwina, List:

I would simply like to offer three brief clarifications of my own views,
and leave it at that.

First, the object and interpretant in Peirce's 1903 taxonomy evidently
correspond to the *dynamical *object and *final *interpretant in his later
taxonomies, because he assigns the same names to the trichotomies for their
relations with the sign--icon/index/symbol and rheme/dicisign/argument,
although the latter eventually becomes seme/pheme/delome.

Second, I have never suggested that the final interpretant "functions
BEFORE" the immediate and dynamical interpretants.  What I have argued is
that the final interpretant *logically determines* the dynamical
interpretant, such that a sign that *would* produce a feeling under ideal
circumstances can only *actually *produce a feeling, while only a sign that
*would *produce a further sign under ideal circumstances can *actually
*produce a
further sign.  Moreover, I have explicitly and repeatedly denied that this
has anything whatsoever to do with the *temporal *sequence of these
interpretants.

Third, consistent with this assessment, I believe that the destinate or
intended interpretant corresponds to the final interpretant, while the
explicit interpretant corresponds to the immediate interpretant.  I have
explained my reasoning for these assignments here
<https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2018-09/msg00204.html>, here
<https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2020-04/msg00024.html>, and here
<https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2020-04/msg00173.html>.

Regards,

Jon Alan Schmidt - Olathe, Kansas, USA
Professional Engineer, Amateur Philosopher, Lutheran Layman
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt - twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 5:02 PM robert marty <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Edwina, List
>
> I first clarify that I think I agree with most people on the list that the
> hexadic sign is a refinement of the triadic sign and therefore naturally
> responds to more precise ones. It is a difficult exercise to do an analysis
> of a concrete case.
>
> As far as the question of interpretants is concerned, you know that when
> mathematical objects are given they don't care what you put in the "place
> marks". But I will not avoid your question because I have already had
> debates on this, especially at the early days of the list. I have probably
> moved on this issue.
>
> But here's what I think today: I prefer the hexad Od à Oi à S à Id à Ie à
> Iex  (LW December 23 1908) for the reasons concerning Id, the intended
> interpretant, that for me is induced by the Od influencing  the mind across
> the S that it determines .
>
> In terms of communication it would be the interpretation on which the
> issuer of a sign can count in a society where cultural codes are fixed
> (temporarily but it is in a long time) ; intended taking with the value of
> "hoped".
>
> Ie the effective interpretant is clearly the actual effect obtained that
> is not is necessarily the same (and therefore one see the possibilities of
> collective evolution through the accumulated individuals) and the explicit
> Interpretant is this that is explicitly implemented when receiver he
> deliberated (a very short moment certainly) under the pressure of Id
> confronted with his own interpretation Ie.
>
> I see no obstacle to calling them ii, Id and If respectively, as of course
> they are given the same meaning because, in my opinion, there is no
> semantic barrier to making these identifications. The immediate Ii what is
> already inscribed in the mind by the social use of inherited signs and it
> can therefore be intended by simple use of internalized social codes... as
> far as Id and If is concerned there is no problem.
>
> So it is possible that JAS also sees it as such ... one should ask him the
> question ...
>
> It's still a question to be debated without excessive passion!
> Le sam. 16 mai 2020 à 18:48, Edwina Taborsky <[email protected]> a
> écrit :
>
>> Robert - thank you for this clarity -of-the-game.
>>
>> I have one question. You use both O-S-I and Od-S-If in your outline.
>>
>> I think that the more intricate use of Od and If really belong to another
>> discussion. For example, JAS has been introducing the idea that If
>> functions BEFORE the II and DI - a concept which I reject. I'm not sure if
>> you share the same opinion on this as JAS - but- I would appreciate
>> clarification.
>>
>> Again - thank you for your posts.
>>
>> Edwina
>>
>
-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to