Robert, List,
Whilst taking note of Edwina's comment, thank you for this, this is what I meant, allowing that my use of 'mind' is individual based, hence what is being discussed is the pooled product of minds. The components of what we are talking about are in relation to what we are talking about. 'Pooled' is my dialect for Peirce's 'fused'. I would describe the concepts as getting fused but that's just me. Intersecting allusions by speakers and listeners together, build up signification. Is the predestinate interpretant, the hypothesis that we converge towards when inference has increased and falsification has decreased?
Michael

On 2020-05-18 23:00, robert marty wrote:

I am sorry but if you are begining with " If commens means the sum
at any time of whatever everybody happens to come up with,..." I am
obliged, on Peirce's list to give the floor to peirce on this subject
:
" There is the Intentional Interpretant, which is a determination of
the mind of the utterer; the Effectual Interpretant, which is a
determination of the mind of the interpreter; and the Communicational
Interpretant, or say the Cominterpretant, which is a determination of
that mind into which the minds of utterer and interpreter have to be
fused in order that any communication should take place. This mind may
be called the commens. It consists of all that is, and must be, well
understood between utterer and interpreter, at the outset, in order
that the sign in question should fulfill its function. This I proceed
to explain.No object can be denoted unless it be put into relation to
the object of the commens. A man, tramping along a weary and solitary
road, meets an individual of strange mien, who says, "There was a fire
in Megara." If this should happen in the Middle United States, there
might very likely be some village in the neighborhood called Megara.
Or it may refer to one of the ancient cities of Megara, or to some
romance. And the time is wholly indefinite. In short,nothing at all is
conveyed, until the person addressed asks, "Where?"—"Oh about half a
mile along there" to whence he came. "And when?" "As I
passed." Now an item of information has been conveyed, because it has
been stated relatively to a well-understood common experience. Thus
the Form conveyed is always a determination of the dynamical object of
the commind. By the way, the dynamical object does not mean something
out of the mind. It means something forced upon the mind in
perception, but including more than perception reveals. It is an
object of actual Experience." (EP p.478)
Best regards
Robert

Le lun. 18 mai 2020 à 23:44, <[email protected]> a écrit :

Jerry R., List,

To act means to get on with life.  If commens means the sum at any
time
of whatever everybody happens to come up with, we can each develop
whatever aims we want, at any time, as we go along.

From your wording here do you seem to be allowing for this.

I therefore don't quite get why you earlier remarked you didn't
believe
what I took most of the others as edging towards (which I tried to
expand on - as far as I understood - in my response of a few minutes

ago).

Michael M., linguist, UK

On 2020-05-18 21:25, Jerry Rhee wrote:

Dear Cecile, list,

Why not?

I mean, isn’t belief supposedly _that_ upon which one is
prepared to
act?

What, then, is _that_ belief?

Let us take our situation, then.

We have utterers and interpreters (and presumably a commens
somewhere).

And if we take Peirce at his word, then the only moral evil is not
to
have an ultimate aim.  So where is it?  What is our ultimate aim?

From what I see, that aim is nebulous.

And since we are all Peirceans and we have continued to
investigate
such things,

then it must be Peirce’s intention for us to argue over such
things
until we come to an agreement.  But that end comes at the end, not
at
the beginning.

Best,

Jerry R
-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to