Helmut, I think what you say here is just about right:

HR: The truth works as a motive, a quest for it, although it is not yet 
achieved. People (animals, organisms, molecules?) have a feeling, intuition, 
instinct, internalised law or axiom, that everything has or would have a true 
representation. This final interpretant, though not realised, does nevertheless 
do its work for the sign this way here and now.

GF: Peirce says ‘Every man is fully satisfied that there is such a thing as 
truth, or he would not ask any question’ (EP2:240). So that belief is a 
motivation for asking the question, as you say. (I doubt, however, that 
molecules have any such motivations; I think it takes a self-organizing system 
to have motivations in that psychological sense.)

Gary f.

 

From: Helmut Raulien <[email protected]> 
Sent: 18-May-20 14:24
To: [email protected]
Cc: 'Peirce-L' <[email protected]>
Subject: Aw: RE: [PEIRCE-L] To put an end to the false debate on the 
classification of signs

 

 

List

 

do I understand it correctly, that the paradoxon here is, that the final 
interpretant is the first element in logical order, but the last in temporal 
order? In this case I would propose a solution attempt like this: The truth 
works as a motive, a quest for it, although it is not yet achieved. People 
(animals, organisms, molecules?) have a feeling, intuition, instinct, 
internalised law or axiom, that everything has or would have a true 
representation. This final interpretant, though not realised, does nevertheless 
do its work for the sign this way here and now.

 

Best,

Helmut

-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to