Supplement: In this respect (emergence) we have to distinguish between weak and strong emergence. I would say, the beginning of a weak emergence is somewhat blurred. Its effect is imposed from a bigger scale to a smaller scale, e.g. from species evolution (DNA) to the individual. Strong emergence means, that the individual itself has taken over the capability that influences it (self-control). So I would claim, that abduction/anticipation as a weak emergence may occur from DNA and epigenes to the individual, but abduction/anticipation as strong, clear emergence, a noncontinuous, distinct step, is the evolution/creation/occurence of neurons.
Edwina, Steven, List,

Thank you, Steven! I make an attempt to combine your, Edwina´s view with yours, Steven, and mine: The universe has a ("quasi-") mind, and is capable of all three kinds of inference. But to do so on small scales too, it has to hand down this capabilities to smaller units. Causa efficiens is what the inanimate parts of nature can perform, and its representation deduction is a narrative of its. This deduction is self-narrating, as physicochemical reactions are viewable, audible, tangible... Organisms can perform causa finalis, whose representation is an estimation, induction. Organisms induct (induce?). E.g. in the tip of a root is a little stone, and the cells on which this stone pulls due to gravitation multiply faster than the others. (Nonreligious) Causa exemplaris can be performed by brain animals, and its representation is anticipation, abduction. To represent ab example, a neoronic network is required. The emergence steps are narration-estimation-anticipation, or deduction-induction-abduction.

But I admit, that this view may be wrong, and anticipatory/abductive reasoning may, besides by neurons, also be performed by DNA and epigenetic mechanisms.

Best, Helmut

 17. Dezember 2020 um 14:15 Uhr
 "Edwina Taborsky" <tabor...@primus.ca>
wrote:

Yes, I consider that the universe includes chance events. That's basic Peircean Firstness, the concept of freedom and deviation -  and nothing to do with abduction, which is the generation of a new hypothesis, or set-of-laws.

Edwina

On Thu 17/12/20 6:38 AM , "Skaggs,Steven" s.ska...@louisville.edu sent:

Edwina,

Do you consider that the universe includes chance events, or are all events tests of abductions?

SxS