John, Edwina, List:

JFS: JAS highlighted Peirce's distinction, which applies to both
mathematics and phenomenology:

JAS: It is incontrovertible that according to Peirce in CP 3.559 (and
elsewhere), the mathematician frames a pure hypothesis without inquiring or
caring whether it agrees with the actual facts or not.

JFS: Yes, of course.

I am glad that we agree about this. I will only add that unlike the
mathematician, the phenomenologist *does *inquire and care whether a given
hypothesis agrees with the actual facts or not. That is why, unlike
mathematics, Peirce considers phenomenology to be a *positive *science;
but what distinguishes phenomenology from the *other* positive sciences in
his classification, especially metaphysics and the special sciences, is the
*kind *of facts that are of interest. The phenomenologist frames a
hypothesis without inquiring or caring whether it agrees with *reality *or
not, only whether it agrees with the "seemings" that are or could be
present to the mind in any way.

ET: BUT, my point is that such an imaginary realm is not self-sustaining
and must, at some time, connect to reality, where it will examine whether
or not its Forms have any functionality.

I am happy to say that we agree about this, as well. In fact, I see it as
consistent with André's remark on slide 26 that many of the possibilities
explored by mathematicians "are not merely artificial fictions of the
imagination but the direct suggestions of evocative forms encountered in
experience" (https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2021-08/msg00181.html).
Here I will only add that phenomenology is not limited to experience in the
*strict* sense of that in cognition which is forced upon us by the
*outer *world
of existence, it also encompasses the *inner *world of imagination and
the *logical
*world of mathematics. Again, ascertaining which idealized forms "connect
to reality" and thus "have any functionality" is a task for metaphysics and
the special sciences, which--as John rightly observes--depend on the
normative science of logic as semeiotic for the requisite principles,
including methodeutic as its third branch.

ET: And I'd also like to add that Gary F's very nice post on the
relationship between mathematics and phenomenology is exactly what I have
been arguing about for several weeks on this List ...

Likewise, I agree with Gary F.'s post today (
https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2021-08/msg00382.html), including
"the one point where I think John’s description below needs to be modified."

JFS: The special sciences depend on phenomenology for the raw data and on
mathematics for forming hypotheses.

The basis for Peirce's classification is such that instead, the special
sciences depend on phenomenology for *principles*, while phenomenology
depends on the special sciences for *data*. Even so, since the *purpose *of
phenomenology is very different from the *purpose *of the special sciences,
as Gary F. said, each involves a different kind of attention to that same
data. Moreover, *all *the positive sciences depend on mathematics for
principles, but someone is engaged in *pure *mathematics only when framing
hypotheses and drawing necessary conclusions from them *without *inquiring
or caring whether they agree with the actual facts or not. Someone who *does
*inquire and care about this is engaged in *applied *mathematics within one
of the positive sciences.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian