John, Edwina, List:

ET (to JFS): Thank you for this outline - and I totally agree.

I agree with the responses this morning by both Gary F. and Jeff. As in the
case of pure mathematics, Peirce's phenomenology/phaneroscopy is a *distinct
*science in its own right, with its own purposes and subject matter, and
must be carefully distinguished from its *applications *within the other
positive sciences, including logic as semeiotic, metaphysics, and the
special sciences.

ET: I think it's a key comment - to differentiate the *subject matter* of a
science from the *agent-who-works* with that subject.

Just to clarify, where Peirce states that the mathematician frames a pure
hypothesis and draws necessary conclusions from it without inquiring or
caring whether it agrees with the actual facts or not, I understand him to
be primarily talking about the *subject matter* rather than the
*agent-who-works*. In other words, "mathematician" here simply means
"practitioner of (pure) mathematics." Someone who *does *inquire and care
about such things might be a self-described mathematician, but is not
engaged in *pure *mathematics as defined by Peirce within his
classification of the sciences. After all, Peirce himself was an
accomplished mathematician, but was not doing *pure *mathematics during his
phaneroscopic, logical, metaphysical, and scientific investigations. In
those contexts, he was instead *applying *mathematics as a phaneroscopist,
logician, metaphysician, and scientist, respectively.

ET: This also suggests, to me, that thought is far more complex and
networked than the linearity offered by De Tienne.

Please elaborate on this remark. Where exactly does André state or imply
that thought is simple and linear, rather than complex and networked?

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian