Jeff, List,

I did notice, Jeff, that your usage of "phenomenology" is very close to
John's - that is, it agrees with the "general" definition of the word that I
quoted from the OED, as opposed to the "Philosophy" definition given there,
which is much more detailed - but i won't try to persuade you, any more than
i did John, that Peirce's definitions are more philosophical than general. I
also noticed your reference to the "distinction between the phenomenological
and nomological phases of inquiry," but i don't see the relevance of that
distinction to phenomenological practice as Peirce defined it, so i don't
intend to argue that point either.

JD: I have yet to see an explanation of Peirce's phenomenology that does
what I think needs to be done--which is to provide an adequate account of
how an analysis of the elemental features of experience will enable
scientific inquirers better to identify and correct for observational
errors, frame questions, conceive of the space of possible hypotheses,
develop informal diagrams, determine appropriate forms of measurement for
given phenomena, and articulate formal mathematical models for competing
hypotheses.

GF: I don't think Peirce's phenomenology does that, so i certainly can't
provide "an adequate account of how an analysis of the elemental features of
experience" does that kind of thing. Some phenomenologists in the Husserlian
tradition do try to give an account of how phenomenology can inform
psychology in those ways; one example is Gallagher and Zahavi, The
Phenomenological Mind (3rd edition, 2021). But i don't see Peirce giving any
such account for his phenomenology. If his phenomenology were more concerned
with the material elements (or material categories) of phenomena, it might
be possible to talk about "phenomenological phases of inquiry" within the
special sciences, but Peirce says quite explicitly and consistently that his
phenomenology/ phaneroscopy is concerned only with the formal elements and
not the material elements of the phaneron. I have seen no text by Peirce
suggesting that his phenomenological method can be of any direct assistance
to special sciences such as astronomy, biology or psychology in the ways you
list above.

Some of these distinctions verge on hairsplitting, so i can easily see how
Jon A.S. could be in general agreement with both posts (yours and mine).
That's why i would rather not spend more time arguing over these
distinctions, which may turn out to be more verbal than pragmatic. The
outcome would make no difference to my practice of phaneroscopy, or anyone
else's, as far as I can see.

Gary f.