John, Jon, Gary F, Edwina, List,

I don't believe that it is in any way controversial that not only Peirce,
but virtually every serious scholar makes a distinction between theory and
practice and, likewise, between pure and applied mathematics.

Here I'd like to comment on the later distinction (i.e., between pure and
applied mathematics); but rather than offering abstract definitions of
these, to emphasize the legitimate interest of many folk on this list in
the importance of real world applications of mathematics and science,
I'll instead quote from a college website commenting on how pure and
applied mathematics are distinguished in their undergraduate degree
programs. These simple summaries are meant to help students decide which
major (pure or applied mathematics) to enroll in.

Edwin Ding, PhD, an associate professor in the Department of Mathematics,
Physics, and Statistics at APU, noted that the mathematics major focuses on
pure mathematics. He explained that pure mathematics deals with the
theoretical side of math and has a greater concentration on proofs,
theorems, and abstract concepts.

“The applied math major, on the other hand, focuses more on applying
analytical/computational math techniques to solve real-world problems in
different fields,” said Ding. These fields can include actuarial science,
biology, physics, computer science, and statistics. According to Ding,
“Both majors start with the foundational courses, such as calculus sequence
and ordinary differential equations, and go into different specializations
later on.”
https://www.apu.edu/articles/the-difference-between-mathematics-degrees-applied-math-vs-pure-math/

What it seems to me that De Tienne emphasizes in that aspect of his
presentation having the purpose of positioning pharneroscopy within
Peirce's *Classification of Sciences*, a work, btw, of *Science of Review*,
concerned with sciences *qua* scientific *disciplines *as distinct from how
the knowledge of each of these will be employed in the actual work of any
given scientist or group of sciences.

So, if one wants to prepare for work in, for example, biology, a student
would most likely want to have and, indeed, need to have some training in
several sciences in addition to biology, for example, in mathematics,
logic, chemistry, etc. But her more advanced training would *emphasize* the
distinctive research characters (methodology) of the science of biology, a
science which she may have a burning interest in which may eventually lead
to her making important discoveries in it.

As I see it, Peirce's *Classification of Sciences* is principally devised
to point to the specific *subject matter* of individual sciences as they
have already been developed, but equally importantly, may be developed, and
will be researched by generations of future scientists with special
interests in particular sciences*. Of* course these interests and abilities
may not be limited to a single science, may even encompass many sciences
(Peirce was himself certainly an authentic polymath). And while preparatory
studies for one to become, say, a chemist or a psychologist may overlap to
some (small) extent, yet as their individual educations broaden and deepen,
their scientific training and, of course, ultimately their scientific
practice, *will diverge* considerably. Naturally it is not unheard of for,
say, an accomplished botanist to also be an expert anthropologist. But if
so, that scientist must make deep and serious studies of both those
sciences, and likely much, much more.

It is likely that programs in any scientific discipline will most likely
require students to take courses in mathematics and logic, perhaps the
history of science, etc. But once they are actively working in their
special fields, if they continue as research scientists they will likely
want to make significant progress in their respective field(s), to
"further" them, as the English idiom would have it. For, as Peirce comments:

Science is not a fixed, unchangeable body of propositions. After a thousand
years the general face of science may be modified past recognition. 1899 | From
Comte to Benjamin Kidd | CN 2:214

Thus, science "consists in a *disposition* of living men" and women
actively working in various scientific disciplines, genuine science being the
work and research of those trained in and engaged in the various scientific
disciplines.

CSP: Science is research; and research is science, from the first moment
when the researcher casts aside all desire to prove his present opinions
right, and burns with ardent desire to find out wherein they are wrong. Science
thus consists in a disposition of living men. . .

Peirce continues in this passage to note that for contemporary,  active,
*developing* research that "the true divisions of science will be those
which divide living men.: 1902 | Minute Logic: Chapter II. Prelogical
Notions. Section I. Classification of the Sciences | MS [R] 426:12

Thus, he brings together these two notions of scientific subject matter and
the actual scientific practice of scientists working more of less
collaboratively in particular sciences, the last in consideration of the
so-called "Perennial Classification":

CSP: . . .what I mean by a “science,” both for the purpose of this
classification & in general, is the life devoted to the pursuit of truth
according to the best known methods on the part of a group of men who
understand one another’s ideas and works as no outsider can. . . they are
pursuing a branch of truth according. . . to the best methods that are
known at the time. I do not call the solitary studies of a single man a
science. It is only when a group of men, more or less in
intercommunication, are aiding and stimulating one another by their
understanding of a particular group of studies as outsiders cannot
understand them, that I call their life a science. 1905 | Adirondack Summer
School Lectures | MS [R] 1334:11-13

So, while scientists interests may not, and most likely *will *not be
limited to a particular science -- as in a very strong sense today they
*cannot* be so limited -- yet we tend to establish educational and research
programs in particular fields: in biology, physics, chemistry, logic,
political science, linguistics, etc. and we call those who come to practice
these sciences biologists, physicists, chemists, logicians, etc.

Therefore, I'm not quite sure what is really controversial here. To
identify a science's subject matter (even as Peirce notes that it could
develop fairly out of recognition over a long period of time), and to note
that some people concentrate their research in particular sciences, as
indeed they must, neither of these in any way limits the present and future
scope of any science, nor compels any individual researcher to restrict her
research to a single science. Indeed, it seems to me that we live in an age
of inter- and cross-disciplinary research.

I would hope these comments are as reasonable and non-controversial as I
believe that they really ought to be. Establishing and/or developing a
science is the work of scientists, and Peirce's classification of sciences
is meant as a mere tool -- and aid -- to that establishment and development.

Best,

Gary R

“Let everything happen to you
Beauty and terror