Phenomenology is (with math) the underpinning of both scientific inquiry
and everyday reasoning. Improve one's capability for observation and
classification and you improve his/her ability to think and reason.
Neglected Argument has interesting things to say about the categories and
this process as does What Pragmatism Is.