Phyllis, List,

First of all, Phyllis, welcome back to the List! I know a little of the
health challenges you've been facing since 2014 when you asked me to read
your paper for the Peirce International Centennial Conference, so I am more
than delighted to see you back, active again on Peirce-L.

It's extremely valuable, I believe, to have pragmatistic philosophers such
as yourself, well versed in the arts and with solid experience in
humanities education, sounding in on List discussions. Sometimes it has
felt to me as if we've forgotten the vital importance of the humanities to
a well-rounded life, to healthy communities, scientific and otherwise. I
have occasion thought that the 'hard sciences' have, single-mindedly
pursued, perhaps hardened *us* in ways that undermine our common humanity.
As moderator of Peirce-L, I must admit that I have found the last few years
often to be painfully lacking in fellow feeling and collegiality.

I should note that some of the unfortunately, currently under-represented
women, some once active on the List, have expressed something to this
effect to me, and even recently. So I am hoping that your return to
participation on Peirce-L will encourage some of them to also become more
active again (although lurkers of all persuasions are heartily welcomed
here!) Certainly topics related to pragmatism and the humanities would be
very much welcomed here--and I know not only by me!

In any event, I've personally missed you and am very glad to see you back.

Best regards always,

Gary R

PC: Phenomenology is (with math) the underpinning of both scientific
inquiry and everyday reasoning. Improve one's capability for observation
and classification and you improve his/her ability to think and reason.

I completely agree. Even for those who see the immense value, nay, the
necessity of both mathematics and phenomenology in underpinning scientific
reason, it's easy to forget -- at least it is for me -- that those
two disciplines also improve one's everyday reasoning. Your philosophical
work seems to me to have never forgotten that when we are not 'doing'
science or philosophy, that our quotidian lives are improved by our being
better able to observe and reason, that these are essential elements in
every man and woman's best functioning.

“Let everything happen to you
Beauty and terror
Just keep going