Edwina, List:

ET: We can see from these terms that the answer to 'what' and 'why' refers
to the 'organization' of matter-as-form, this hylomorphic synechist
continuity of matter in our universe. This, to me, defines the
functionality of what some people refer to as 'god'.

In contrast to this opinion, Peirce states plainly what *his *synechism
entails about God.

CSP: A difficulty which confronts the synechistic philosophy is this. In
considering personality, that philosophy is forced to accept the doctrine
of a personal God; but in considering communication, it cannot but admit
that if there is a personal God, we must have a direct perception of that
person and indeed be in personal communication with him. Now, if that be
the case, the question arises how it is possible that the existence [*sic*]
of this being should ever have been doubted by anybody. The only answer
that I can at present make is that facts that stand before our face and
eyes and stare us in the face are far from being, in all cases, the ones
most easily discerned. That has been remarked from time immemorial. (CP
6.162, EP 1:332-333, 1892)

It is in his later writings that Peirce draws a sharp distinction between
existence and reality, and applies it specifically to God, as Gary R. has
already pointed out. He also comes to recognize phenomenology/phaneroscopy
as a science in its own right, and identifies certain faculties that anyone
who wishes to practice it properly must cultivate.

CSP: The first and foremost is that rare faculty, the faculty of seeing
what stares one in the face, just as it presents itself, unreplaced by any
interpretation, unsophisticated by any allowance for this or for that
supposed modifying circumstance. This is the faculty of the artist who sees
for example the apparent colors of nature as they appear. When the ground
is covered by snow on which the sun shines brightly except where shadows
fall, if you ask any ordinary man what its color appears to be, he will
tell you white, pure white, whiter in the sunlight, a little greyish in the
shadow. But that is not what is before his eyes that he is describing; it
is his theory of what ought to be seen. The artist will tell him that the
shadows are not grey but a dull blue and that the snow in the sunshine is
of a rich yellow. That artist's observational power is what is most wanted
in the study of phenomenology. (CP 5.41-42, EP 2:147, 1903)

Eventually, he acknowledges that such "philosophical observation" is even *more
*difficult than that of the artist.

CSP: To assume, however, that the observational part of philosophy, because
it is not particularly laborious, is therefore easy, is a dreadful mistake,
into which the student is very apt to fall, and which gives the death-blow
to any possibility of his success in this study. It is, on the contrary,
extremely difficult to bring our attention to elements of experience which
are continually present. For we have nothing in experience with which to
contrast them; and without contrast, they cannot excite our attention. We
can only contrast them with imaginary states of things; but even what we
imagine is but a crazy-quilt of bits snipped off from actual experiences.
The result is that roundabout devices have to be resorted to, in order to
enable us to perceive what stares us in the face with a glare that, once
noticed, becomes almost oppressive with its insistency. This circumstance
alone would be sufficient to render philosophical observation
difficult--much more difficult, for example, than the kind of observation
which the painter has to exercise. (CP 1.134, c. 1905)

However, this is in the context of "scientific study," where "one's
observations and reflections are allowed to specialize themselves" (CP
6.459, EP 2:436, 1908). By contrast, "let religious meditation be allowed
to grow up spontaneously out of Pure Play without any breach of continuity;
and the Muser will retain the perfect candor proper to Musement" (CP 6.458,
EP 2:436). That is why the reality of God "should be obvious to all minds,
high and low alike, that should earnestly strive to find the truth of the
matter" (CP 6.457, EP 2:435). In other words ...

CSP: The most *powerful* of the proofs of His Being is that the sincere
inquirer, (who will first have been freed from Nominalism, so as no longer
to confound the assertion of God's Reality, with the proposition that God
Exists, since this being a contradiction *in terminis*, will not receive
five minutes' consideration from any clear-headed person,)--if he meditates
well upon God's Reality considered as a mere hypothesis,--and until he has
done this, he is unfit to judge of it,--will, as a fact, find himself
utterly incapable of doubting it, which is more than a *Proof* of it to
him;--it is a *Rational Compulsion*. Meantime, for all those who have not
yet themselves received that illumination, testimony to that effect lies
open;--testimony stupendous in volume, and moreover quite unopposed if, as
I believe to be the case, all Atheists are Nominalists; and this testimony
ought to be accepted as a proof that a belief in God is a natural instinct,
comparable with the instinct that leads various insects to lay their eggs
where the larvae will find abundant food, though the mothers have no
experiential acquaintance with eggs, unless they can remember being eggs
themselves; and indeed even this would not, of itself, suffice. Now it
would certainly be the height of folly to discredit any such natural
instinct. Surely, this consideration ought to suffice to induce any
non-nominalist, any Scholastic Realist,--don't take fright at the name!--if
he cares at all whether God really be or not, to try, for himself, the
effect of thorough consideration of the hypothesis, and to devote, say, six
or seven per cent of his waking hours for six or seven years to a sincere
trial of the experiment. For the exercise, will, in any case, be the most
refreshing of pleasures. See my paper in the *Hibbert Journal* for October
1908. (R 641:19-21, 1909)

In summary, Peirce *explicitly states* the following.

   - The synechistic philosophy *must *accept the doctrine of a personal
   God, such that we have a direct perception of God and are in personal
   communication with God.
   - The reality of God should thus be obvious to *all *minds, but directly
   perceiving God requires attention to elements of experience that are
   continually present, which is difficult.
   - The proposition that God *exists *is a contradiction in terms, which
   nominalists--among whom are all atheists--wrongly confound with the
   assertion of God's *reality*.
   - Anyone who has *not *meditated well on the hypothesis of God's
   reality--which means spending at least an hour a day for six or seven years
   doing so--is unfit to judge of it.
   - Anyone who *does *conduct such an experiment will be utterly incapable of
   doubting God's reality--i.e., rationally compelled to believe it--because
   belief in God is a natural instinct.

To be clear, these are *Peirce's *views, not necessarily mine. Anyone is
free to disagree with him about any or all of them, but not to
attribute *different
*views to him, let alone *contrary *views.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian