Ben, list:

        I think that's from Aquinas' Five Arguments for the Existence of
God: Unmoved Mover, First Cause, Necessary Being, the Absolute Being
and the Grand Designer.

        These are essentially ' a posteriori', in that they are conclusions
based on observations of the world; ie, that 'movement and change
exists; that causality exists...etc...and, along with the reality of
time - leads one to wonder and hypothesize about: First cause and so
on.

        That is - Aquinas is looking at the Natural World - and my view is
that is what Peirce was doing. To call 'Nature' or 'Mind' or
'reasoning and organization' by a term of 'god' - that's another
issue - since it adds in dimensions of experience that have nothing
to do with 'Mind'...such as worship, devotion, the narratives of
heaven/hell and morality. These other issues, which are attributes of
an organized religion, are sociological rather than philosophical in
nature.

        Edwina
 On Wed 08/09/21  6:16 PM , Ben Udell baud...@gmail.com sent:
        Edwina, list,

        Edwina wrote,

        Now, you can say that this 'reality' is 'the creator' of the
three universes of experience [the formations of matter and
relations in 1ns, 2ns, 3ns] but this, to me, is not a definition
   of 'god' for it does not analyze or explain 'why' such a
creation emerged and 'what' this 'force/god' actually does.
        When Peirce calls and defines God as THE ens necessarium in "A
Neglected Argument       for the Reality of God", he is referencing a
very old idea, from       Aquinas or some other Scholastic
philosopher, that God's reality       does not require explanation, a
"why", He does not need it,       because (at least in the
monotheistic version) God is necessary,       not contingent. I.e.,
God causes the rest of things but nothing       causes God and
nothing is needed in order to cause God, He is       already
necessary, not contingent.  I guess it goes back to       Aristotle
at least.  FWIW, I speak as an agnostic.