Phyllis, List,

Don't worry about me; I can take care of myself.

It seems to me that Edwina much prefers what she calls 'debate' to
'discussion' -- one side wins the debate and the other loses, and I always
know what side of the 'debate' I'll be on.

I try to be reasonable, ask, for recent example, for reasonable terminology
in consideration of Peircean issues (like distinguishing between
'existence' and 'reality' when talking about the N.A.) But the problem, it
turns out (from her perspective) is that, in that case, that *I'm the
problem*: I'm too concerned about,  terminology, and get "hung up" on it as
the English expression goes. It seems like a kind of 'fault' on my part and
she apparently sees no responsibility in such matters, so I should already
know what she *meant* to say; or I've got to figure out what *she* means.

And, in truth, I'm much more convinced by Peirce's views on the topics
which brought this very e-forum into existence than Edwina's, not that I
haven't tried to be open to them. But if, for example, I find her
input-output model of semeiotics problematic and Peirce's semeiotic views
more than reasonable and worthy of further development, well from her
perspective, that's my problem. He and I are apparently "behind the times."

I've always preferred discussion to debate because it is capable of
producing new, fresh understandings. But if one digs one's heels in and
says something to the intellectual effect of "my way or the highway," well
what is one to do? Reacting to this kind of thing has been one of my major
challenges as List moderator.

On the other hand, I do acknowledge both Edwina's keen intelligence and her
considerable professional accomplishments.

Best,

Gary R (I suppose, writing as List moderator)

“Let everything happen to you
Beauty and terror
Just keep going
No feeling is final”